DIY Audio Analyzer with AK5397/AK5394A and AK4490

A low FFT “noise floor” is not the equal of low real time noise.

Snip .......

I am very sceptical of extremely low noise measurements that you are quoting though. At some point, even thermal noise in a wire will limit our ability to see these low levels unless we use some super cool cooling method. But then, we lose relevance to real world circuit behaviour.

-Chris

Hi Chris,

I think that you and I are pretty much in the same place regarding the noise.

We have wonderful tool available to us. With big enough sample size and many times over averaging, random noise will pretty much disappear from a FFT plot. With small FFT bin sizes the apparent “noise floor” falls away. Ed Simon shows -170dB “noise floors” in his resistor distortion plots.

Real time noise will swamp the low level distortion products that may be visible in a FFT plot.

DT

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Chris,

I think that you and I are pretty much in the same place regarding the noise.

We have wonderful tool available to us. With big enough sample size and many times over averaging, random noise will pretty much disappear from a FFT plot. With small FFT bin sizes the apparent “noise floor” falls away. Ed Simon shows -170dB “noise floors” in his resistor distortion plots.

Real time noise will swamp the low level distortion products that may be visible in a FFT plot.

DT

Good to remind us again of the real power of an FFT - to eek out the harmonic components from the noise floor.

Jan

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can't not wonder if there is something that might render the results of very long averaging unreliable. I agree that long averaging is the best to drag out harmonics and mains interference, providing a valuable tool for researching a problem.

I have to really work to accept those numbers as any statement of performance. Getting it to a level that it is repeatable in different labs would go a long way towards creating a metric that could be useful. Imagine the field day the advertisers would have with this!

-Chris

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Long averaging requires real stability in the sources. For noise you are really averaging the noise at a given frequency which is good. But for any stationary signals that are not that stationary they will be misrepresented.

Coherent averaging will actually remove any random signals and reduce the noise unmasking stationary signals (e.g. melt noise on the QA101) but its not an indication of noise energy.

High resolution FFTs also get very low noise in each bin. Useful for the same type of unmasking. But the actual noise is still the same, you are only getting tiny slices of it. Again you need really good stability for that analysis. Analog RC oscillators drift enough that you can see the harmonics moving from bin to bin and getting smaller than their actual energy.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Demian,
Those are the types of things I was considering actually. I would think that your stimulus signal and sample clock should be locked and come from the same piece of equipment. You might need to assess the distortion in your stimulus signal and subtract that from the resulting output.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Andrew,
Why, of course or I wouldn't have posted that in the first place.

Your comments are specific and normally wouldn't be known outside of the parties involved directly. So:
  1. How do you know this
  2. How do you know the specifics

If you know directly from Jens, I doubt he would want the information out in the public.

-Chris

I started with "we have no idea"
That tells you that I am guessing why he has little time to keep us informed of progress on an hourly basis.
Knowing that he gave us a price that he estimated was about half of the expected retail cost, I further guess that his employer is making little or no profit in the batch production for us.
I know from experience that costs can easily run away.
Somewhat tongue in cheek, I suggested that maybe he was so busy trying to keep the project going without incurring any extra costs, that he was doing some unpaid overtime.
But that is all fiction and should not be taken as anything else.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It is not quite that bad :)
The GB does represent a huge discount though, which would not be possible on normal commercial conditions. I do put in some unpaid overtime (voluntarily) on some parts of the projects.

The preparations for production are still in progress. Expected to be ready from manufacturing late August or early September. So slightly delayed, mainly due to component sourcing issues.

It is not quite that bad :)
The GB does represent a huge discount though, which would not be possible on normal commercial conditions. I do put in some unpaid overtime (voluntarily) on some parts of the projects.

The preparations for production are still in progress. Expected to be ready from manufacturing late August or early September. So slightly delayed, mainly due to component sourcing issues.

Damn awesome, just in time for the winter buckle-in with my fav hobby! atm, its kindof, mehh, sun is out, supposedly, and we just hit a new all-time record of how many june days have constant rain.. 26 days ! yeah, 26 damn days, and now I just had a shower from above, so were counting 27 days atm.. a few more and whole june was raining.

Glad the project is progressing.. cant wait.