DIY Audio Analyzer with AK5397/AK5394A and AK4490

As RTX is a business and not a non-profit then this makes sense of course. I for one am still happy I got a unit and consider it a super deal. Even with the list price later I think it is worth it but I also understand that for many hobby users it was a bit out of reach... but then again I do not see equivalent for same price/performance either.

Just to clarify - is/was Virtins a reseller or did they perhaps take over the production under license?

I received an official statement from RTX, see attached.

The product information should be back online soon.

But unfortunately there are no RTX6001's in stock.

Ok, well, that's a pity, but I totally understand and respect the RTX decision.

I just hope the RTX6001 (or some derivative of it) is not transferred to another company that sells it in a different way than originally intended during the development here (see for example posts 2664 and 2674).

I am more worried about Virtins to change the software control interface of the analyser to whatever they think is best for their software package. This would mean the level controls of the RTX analysers won't work anymore with other software.

I wonder - are the switches in RTX controlled by USB-audio features (control elements), or does the XMOS firmware implement a composite USB device with e.g. USB-serial function, in addition to USB-audio class 2?

I wonder - are the switches in RTX controlled by USB-audio features (control elements), or does the XMOS firmware implement a composite USB device with e.g. USB-serial function, in addition to USB-audio class 2?

The control of the switches is separate from the audio USB part.

If you want some more insights, take a look at how it's the communication with the RTX switches is implemented in MATAA: GitHub - mbrennwa/mataa
(go to "calibration" --> "RTX6001_USB_STATUS")

The sales figures were too low. No wonder at a price of $ 2500.

That's the price you're paying to Virtins, not what you payed at RTX. But yes, the RTX6001 was certainly a lot more expensive than the average USB sound card, and that's what most DIYers get. However I am very glad I have the RTX (aehm, well, I have more than one).

Joined 2009
Paid Member
4499 - DAC, the main part of RTX is ADC.
I was hoping you could tell us about "much better chip" then AK5394, used in RTX.

(And, BTW, which is obsolete and is not manufactured now :()

Not in this case. As I said, AK5394 is obsolete, and I'm personally still cannot find a replacement. All other "better audio ADC" are better (maybe) for digitizing, but not for the measurements.

I agree. The AK5394A is a very good ADC. A pity that it is obsolete. I do have access to a reasonable quantity though :D

Joined 2009
Paid Member

WHAAAAAT? I just recently bought some RTX6001 from RTX. I feel it is wrong to force people to buy the hardware in a package with some particular software. The RTX6001 was developed specifically to be software independent!

The RTX6001 will stay independent of the software.

As RTX is a business and not a non-profit then this makes sense of course. I for one am still happy I got a unit and consider it a super deal. Even with the list price later I think it is worth it but I also understand that for many hobby users it was a bit out of reach... but then again I do not see equivalent for same price/performance either.

Just to clarify - is/was Virtins a reseller or did they perhaps take over the production under license?

Virtins got a possibility to resell the RTX6001. Unfortunately that is no longer possible as described earlier.

But who knows? Perhaps there will be a way forward after all?

Last edited: