DIY anamorphic lens

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
[Commercial Post] I am able to supply achromatic doublets in both prisms and cylindrical lenses. However these are not cheap, so only if there is serious interest will I run a GB.

MODS: If you feel that this post is inappropriate, please feel free to delete it. I know the rules, however as a manufacture, I am able/prepared to supply the specialty products that are required for this particular project. I do not know of ANY other source that can deliver the same results.

Billmoria, if you were going to use the CA corrected prisms I have, you would have to run the longer (2.2:1) TR. They works from about 2.0:1 if your lens is not recessed. I honestly feel that the longer the TR, the better the image.

The Cylindrical lenses can be run easily at TRs down to 1.4:1 and possibly 1.3:1 (projector pending). The true beauty of these lenses is that they are "fully corrected" meaning that once aligned, you have no astigmatism, no Chromatic Aberrations and little to no (when used on a curved screen) Grid Distortion either. You won't find these lenses in a standard optical supplier's catalog as they were custom designed for this purpose.

[Commercial Post] I am able to supply achromatic doublets in both prisms and cylindrical lenses. However these are not cheap, so only if there is serious interest will I run a GB.
What is GB? I am interested but depends on price and guarantee to work with my IN82.

Billmoria, if you were going to use the CA corrected prisms I have, you would have to run the longer (2.2:1) TR. They works from about 2.0:1 if your lens is not recessed. I honestly feel that the longer the TR, the better the image.
My TR is limited to 1.89 there is no room to move the projector or screen. May be when I buy new 2.35:1 screen is smaller in height.

The Cylindrical lenses can be run easily at TRs down to 1.4:1 and possibly 1.3:1 (projector pending). The true beauty of these lenses is that they are "fully corrected" meaning that once aligned, you have no astigmatism, no Chromatic Aberrations and little to no (when used on a curved screen) Grid Distortion either. You won't find these lenses in a standard optical supplier's catalog as they were custom designed for this purpose.
I can't use curved screen. Only choice I have pull down screen and I don't think I can get curve pull down screen.

What is GB? I am interested but depends on price and guarantee to work with my IN82.

GB = Group Buy. The cylindrical lenses will work, no problems there. The prisms are TR dependent.

My TR is limited to 1.89 there is no room to move the projector or screen. May be when I buy new 2.35:1 screen is smaller in height.

Then either you reduce the screen size or you have no choice but to run with the cylindrical lenses.

Only choice I have pull down screen and I don't think I can get curve pull down screen.

I would think not either.

I am interested in building a anamorphic lens. I currently use the lens memory function of my projector to fill my 2.35:1 screen. I am curious about getting more out of my set-up. A commercial lens is out of the question right now due to numerous unplanned expenses around the house. So the DIY route it is.
First I need to know if it's doable with out moving my projector? I have it ceiling mounted,well on a beam actually and already had to move it back about 2' to accommodate the screen. Mounting a lens wont be a problem just don't want to move the pj.

My set up currently: PT-AE4000U/120" Carada 2.35:1 Criterion Series with BW screen Gain 1.4.
152.5" from lens to screen surface. Viewing surface 110.4" W x 47" H.
101_2069.jpg

101_2085.jpg

As for sourcing parts I found these LARGE ANAMORPHIC PRISM SET FOR DIGITAL PROJECTOR - Surplus Shed One prism is smaller than the other I would assume that one goes closer to the projector while the larger one is closer to the screen? They claim to be "They are made of high quality optical glass and are fully AR coated". Which from what I've picked up on is a good thing and probably worth the added expense.

I also found these Personalised Engraved Classic Crystal Awards ~ Plain, Flat, Rectangle, Square, Circle Awards
Quite a bit cheaper but I assume no AR coating.
I plan on building an enclosure similar to MikeP's DIY Anamorphic Lens

As for sourcing parts I found these LARGE ANAMORPHIC PRISM SET FOR DIGITAL PROJECTOR - Surplus Shed One prism is smaller than the other I would assume that one goes closer to the projector while the larger one is closer to the screen? They claim to be "They are made of high quality optical glass and are fully AR coated". Which from what I've picked up on is a good thing and probably worth the added expense.

You will need to know that your TR is long enough as these are actually quite small.

They are made from BK7 and coated. They are not corrected for CA or astigmatism.

I would be bench testing for alignment rather than attempting a ceiling mount. Once you have made sure everything works, then install.

You will need to know that your TR is long enough as these are actually quite small.

They are made from BK7 and coated. They are not corrected for CA or astigmatism.

I would be bench testing for alignment rather than attempting a ceiling mount. Once you have made sure everything works, then install.
Mark,
Thanks for replying I'm sure you are quite busy.
I noticed they are quite small 2.75" x 3.46" & 4.3" x 2.75". I might just go with the trophy ones since they are bigger. How big of an issue is the lack of AR coating?

I need to check the size of the image coming out of the lens. What distances should I check 2" from lens and 8" from lens? That looks to be about the size of the DIY lens I have seen.

I was planning on taking down the projector to get the alignment set-up before making an enclosure. This thread is huge and it is taking quite awhile to collect the info.
How exactly do you calculate the TR? I came across a post earlier and this is what I came up with but don't know if it's right.
The viewable area of my screen (2.35:1) is 110.4" W x 47" H. My lens to screen distance is 152.5". Using Carada's CIH calculator it says my 16:9 viewing area is 47"H x 83.6" wide. I come up with a TR 1.82? Is that correct?

I found this picture in this thread and plan on making an enclosure similar to it if possible.

position_stretch.jpg

Mark,
Thanks for replying I'm sure you are quite busy.
I noticed they are quite small 2.75" x 3.46" & 4.3" x 2.75". I might just go with the trophy ones since they are bigger. How big of an issue is the lack of AR coating?

The coating assist in stopping reflections that can wash an image out with ghosting. If your throw is long enough, you may not see them as bad.

I need to check the size of the image coming out of the lens. What distances should I check 2" from lens and 8" from lens? That looks to be about the size of the DIY lens I have seen.

There is two basic ways to do this.

The "paper test" is a useful one as it shows you how large the beam is. So long as the beam is smaller than the glass it must pass through, it is all good.

Working out the TR is useful as it helps plan the set up. You divide the width of the native 16:9 image into the distance between the projectors lens and the screen.

Example: 188" / 124" = 1.52:1. This is getting close to the short end of the range and would require large optics.

I was planning on taking down the projector to get the alignment set-up before making an enclosure. This thread is huge and it is taking quite awhile to collect the info.
How exactly do you calculate the TR? I came across a post earlier and this is what I came up with but don't know if it's right.
The viewable area of my screen (2.35:1) is 110.4" W x 47" H. My lens to screen distance is 152.5". Using Carada's CIH calculator it says my 16:9 viewing area is 47"H x 83.6" wide. I come up with a TR 1.82? Is that correct?

Yes your math is correct.

The key reason many prism lenses have an angle on their front is to prevent the beam clipping as it exits the case. The lens you have posted an image of only works at very long throws anyway. Typically 2.0:1 and higher.

Thank you again Mark.
I'll do the paper test today and go from there as far as prism sizes. There is allot of good info in this thread but it seems to be very spread out. I've been reading it for a few days as time allows.
I merely liked the picture I posted for looks more than anything else. Not all that important really it isn't like I'll be looking at it during a movie. The angled ones look fine too.
Now I have a question about moving the lens. I've read were people just leave the lens in the light path all the time. Wouldn't that result in cropping the image? I assume I would use the lens for 2.35-2.40:1 material only and move it for 1.78-1.85:1 content. I definitely do not want to crop the images.
I have also read references to a 4 prism lens. How much more complicated are they. Heavier I know due to 4 elements vs. 2 but if they are worth it I would at least like to consider it.

I got a ~ 1.5" H x 2.5" W @ 2" and a 3.25" H x 6" W @ 8" from lens. Looks like trophy prisms for me I don't see the smaller one working. I also ran into another issue I was trying to vertically stretch the image with the projector or blu-ray player & haven't been able to do so. Might be my first real obstacle to overcome.

Thank you again Mark.
I'll do the paper test today and go from there as far as prism sizes. There is allot of good info in this thread but it seems to be very spread out. I've been reading it for a few days as time allows.

This thread got derailed so many times. Once the crystal trophies were found, the thread became stable again.

I merely liked the picture I posted for looks more than anything else. Not all that important really it isn't like I'll be looking at it during a movie. The angled ones look fine too.

So did I at one point.

Now I have a question about moving the lens. I've read were people just leave the lens in the light path all the time. Wouldn't that result in cropping the image? I assume I would use the lens for 2.35-2.40:1 material only and move it for 1.78-1.85:1 content. I definitely do not want to crop the images.

Most projectors that Scale for CIH have mode 1 (VS) and mode 2 (HS). Mode 2 is what you need for 1.78:1 when leaving the lens in the light path.

I have also read references to a 4 prism lens. How much more complicated are they. Heavier I know due to 4 elements vs. 2 but if they are worth it I would at least like to consider it.

I actually posted a diagram of a CA corrected prisms back in 2008. No one seemed to take notice of it. You can not use 4 identical prisms and get CA corrections.

I got a ~ 1.5" H x 2.5" W @ 2" and a 3.25" H x 6" W @ 8" from lens. Looks like trophy prisms for me I don't see the smaller one working. I also ran into another issue I was trying to vertically stretch the image with the projector or blu-ray player & haven't been able to do so. Might be my first real obstacle to overcome.

What projector is it? Not all Scale for CIH.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.