Diy AMT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BREAKING NEWS !!!!

Soft AMT
res_freq_soft_amt_w_paper.JPG
[/url][/IMG]

Diaphragm 32x80x10mm.
Made from PVDC film and alu with paper, and spray glue
Have not measured freq responce yet.
Beat this :Res freq. 130 Hz.

Bernt

The PVDC is this like saran ? The sticky stuff? Since most Cling film Now is PE.

Did you leave the paper on ?

Hmm not sticky, may i ask where you got it ? Only pvdc I could find was the original Saran +- 12 micron
Thermosetting is a problem I guess Saran shrinks a considerable amount as far as I know.

Last question what spray glue did you use ? I noticed that different brands work really different some need coating on both materials witch is not preferred , and some don't spray even and some are rather thick

Last edited:
Here some measurements
SPL is not calibrated to 2,8v1m.
soft_100cm_.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
100cm dist.
soft_10cm_dist.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
10cm dist.
I have tested ess diaphragms too.No succes either.
Spray is applied in a thin layer.It is a low price no name.
Film is for microwave oven.

Bernt

well bandsei that looks promising!. 80x31 is very small so very very good result. is the pleat width still 1 mm?

the pictures are a bit small but if i see correct high freq drops like a brick at 16khz ? or a bit higher i cant see the last frequency in the measurements :) making pleat depth 8 mm will result in a better high end. ofc also higher res but a res of 250Hz would still be awesome for such small panel. or its the weight that limits that, but it looks more like pleat depth or both.

and the low end does not even drop that hard. i can imagine 120mm will increase the low end output to.

well nice finding i think. do you like the result sound wise ?

Last edited:
well i got me some microwave stuff as well, it has a sort of brownish tint. it does not stick.
but nowhere it stated it is PVDC :( the cheaper products cling/microwave film was PE.

you got a brand ? or is it a typical local brand :)

btw you must have a massive amount of films in the supermarket :) al this nice alu/paper stuff and such PVDC etc :) i am living in the wrong country

looking good!

this low for such small driver is insane..i can imagine they sound impressive, i found on my film the PP logo :( so no luck with the PVDC :(

i tried it but its tooooooo fragile. i now tried just for fun Alu paper Alu. i etch one side and leave one aluminium and paper. just for fun since i wondered how paper would sound.

maybe could do a doable coil

Last edited:
Oh Bandsei, you used the 7 micron alu/paper you once send me ? so the paper is only on the AL traces ? you removed the rest material?

paper does not work... at least not my paper it was to thick :( might try your recepy , although my method of getting traces is different so i cant remove the rest material from the paper/alu

It is like saran,but mine is not sticky.
It is more fragile than mylar, so I left the paper on.
It is not Thermoset .I mounted 3mm. alutape on the ends to keep the shape, until i glued with silicone.
Will measure later today.

Bernt
From Wikipedia I saw that Saran Wrap is no longer made of PVDC:
"However, today's Saran Wrap is no longer composed of PVDC, supposedly due to environmental concerns with halogenated materials, and is now made from ordinary polyethylene."

So one better to look out for the PVDC label.

It is not Thermoset, in fact when heated above 125 °C it dissolves into HCl!

I think it is feasible though to have retainers every 80 mm or so in order to maintain the folds.

I used 10my alu/paper.
Traces are cut with my silhuette cutter.
Paper is only on the traces
If you look at my pictures here:https://plus.google.com/u/1/115027702649442747143/posts/N7DUh3pxgBP?pid=6099337220329919698&oid=115027702649442747143 Picture 102 to 111.
You can se how I used to print on the paperside and cut with a double knive 2,5mm traces ,tape cuts and glue it to the mylar film or pvdc film, remove tape and evt. paper.

Solhaga I think you are right regarding the retainers.
I will make the diaphragm 160mm high, test it ,and evt. make retainer.

Bernt

Last edited:
If the Alu strips are outside the gap it should work and not add anything. Especially if you use glue to set the folds anyways. But since once side the foil is already almost touching each other I recon retainers every 60 or 70 mm would be better. Maybe the middle retainer is indeed more useful to use the tape or anything else that could've heat set . If pvdc could handle it of course . The top and bottom retainers can be of any material that holds shape.

Ohhhhhh.
All these choices!!
I left the paper on because the pvdc is more fragile. But another benefit is adding weight and stifnes.
Of course I have to try without paper,and try 7mm depth and ,and, and .
Never ending story

Bernt

Ok, so it was by choice and not necessity that you left the paper on then.
I was just curious, don't mind about me - carry on!

Bernt,

Did you try to do the tracks with a "conductive mixture" (i.e. the so called conductive ink) instead of aluminum and/or other material strips ?

Is there an intensity issue for you ?

I made some trials with conductive ink or glue and it seems that it works but I never try to write on Mylar yet.

What is your opinion ?

I have not tried conductive ink.
I have the silhouette cutter to make my traces.

I have just tried to make a diaphragm with PVDC film ,alu and no paper.
Too soft.Tried to bake it at 170 dg. No way.
Now i am going to laminate 3m tape with alu/paper, remove the paper, cut traces,and laminate with PVDC.
This way there is only the soft PVDC in the "hinges".

Bernt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.