DIY Aluminum Case

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I live in Canada so shipping is more expensive. Also, the sheet metal is only 40 bucks so it would be way cheaper. I mean.. I can buy all custom cut aluminum plate/sheets that would make the perfect size chassis for like 80 bucks.. why would I spend that much on a broken amp?

Note to self - They don't have used broken amps in Canada.

All kidding aside, if your amp needs sinks, $40 worth of sheet metal ain't gonna do squat.

Also, Par Metal has a nice chassis with great sinks for a small to medium Class A type amp for around $150.

Last edited:
Note to self - They don't have used broken amps in Canada.

All kidding aside, if your amp needs sinks, $40 worth of sheet metal ain't gonna do squat.

im making this : DIY 200Watts Power Amp

I have a big heat sink for the output transistors already but that's it.

I'm looking for amps, lots near toronto, I'd rather not drive an hour and a half to get one though.

Here's what Krohn Hite used to hold their chassis together:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The bushings for the screws are called PEM nuts. Of course, PEM is a brand name, the generic term is "captive nut". You can find them at McMaster-Carr and the like places. They're very handy.

I've done machining in 50-series and 60-series aluminum. 6061 aluminum is such a joy to work with. It machines very easily. 5053 is less expensive but softer and more of a pain to work with (IMO).

My latest chassis, was built from 1/8 thick aluminum pieces. I used U-channel for the sides and regular sheet for the top. It worked out rather well.

~Tom

Hamilton - AKA the paradise in Joni Mitchell's "parking lot" ... and the home of the famous Possum van.
I should have guessed hamilton first, I am forgetting the whole line of cities and towns all the way to the US border crossing. Yea I've never seen anyone live in Barrie ... dunno why I tried that.
Cool.
Srinath.

thanks for those links. Thing is I'm not that close to toronto, about 1.5 hours away so I wouldn't just drive there for that. If I'm in the area I'll check it out.

Well, you know, I think you're just screwed. You either have to get a whole shop worth of sheet metal tools, and buy the metal at either of the retail places we've posted here, or you buy a broken amp in the US and pay the fees to get it to you. There is no cheap way for you.

Are you closer to London Ont ?? As I believe there is a Metal Supermarket in London ....

You could probably order from London and get it shipped in a couple days .....

Yeah there's one like 15 minutes away from me in Cambridge so that's definitely an option. Have to decide between building a fresh chassis or using an old one. I don't know what I'd do for heat because I have output transistors that will get fairly hot.

On my last chassis I used 1/2in aluminum plate for the sides , and since the Top ,Bottom , back and faceplate anchor to the sides it makes for very rugged construction and the 1/2in plates act as great heatsinks , you would have to mount the transistors on the sides ......

Yea

would this be better than a vintage tape player? Canuck Audio Mart Canada's Largest Online Hifi, Audio & Home Theater Classifieds

I would get heatsinks too out of it probably?

Oh yea that will work ... gut that amp now. Heat sinks et al ... if you did it just right, you could use the remote too ... probably not. It has a feed to the chip set, and the chip you have probably wont take - but wait a sec, it may be useable. I am working on a nad 7140 that burnt up, I am thinking of stuffing my lm3886 amp in it. May work. Try it.
Cool.
Srinath.

Oh yea that will work ... gut that amp now. Heat sinks et al ... if you did it just right, you could use the remote too ... probably not. It has a feed to the chip set, and the chip you have probably wont take - but wait a sec, it may be useable. I am working on a nad 7140 that burnt up, I am thinking of stuffing my lm3886 amp in it. May work. Try it.
Cool.
Srinath.

don't need a remote, it's just a set-gain amplifier that will be volume controlled by my AVR.

I can get a pretty nice amplifier that I can use for the chassis, it is made out of steel though. Is this a problem for my c200 amplifier or were you only saying steel is bad because it's hard to work with?

"Steel is a bad idea. You can actually measure the distortion introduced into an audio signal line when it is routed close to a steel chassis."

is this actually true?

I don't think it is... Like almost all AVR's are made out of steel.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.