DIY 4 Inch Ribbon Tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You will need a hacksaw, files, and a drill press which is easier than by hand. The iron parts have to have ends cut off, and brass parts are cut and filed into shape, and drilled. Also need a strong soldering iron of at least 200 watts, and hopefully a small torch to solder the big wires into the brass connectors. The front grill part is a lot of epoxy work. Made from aluminum cut and bent, so you need someway to bend them, I used a big vise and wood blocks. Screen part is cut to size and bent into shape and secured with a lot of epoxy so will slide over the channel iron part and 3 screws per side to hold it on. If you still want the hole drilling and cutting guides, will make them up and post later.

It is made of 4 of the tube things in series. 17 turns in each, so when done total of 72 turns and a tap. You can see the 4 soldered tube layers in photo.

For 1.4 ohm ribbon, it is 2.39 to 1 so 72 turns with tap at 30 turns if lowest frequency is 3 KC. This is using the EDT cores I listed, and 2 #21 wires in parallel. If lower frequency is wanted, need more total turns. 144 will give you 1.5 KC, but would have to use only one # 21 wire to fit the core, and that will make resistance of total winding around 1 ohm, but the loss would be a lot less than a resistor. Probably better to use interleaved winding with amorphous core for lower frequency.

Hi fooeywuffle, please tell me what the 4 turn tap (first case) or the 30 turn tap (second case) is good at. And how the transformer is connected to the tweeter considering the questioned tap. Thank you very much.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.