distortion analyzer recomendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nelson Pass said:
[snip]Multimeter - RADIO SHACK FOR $39 (think about a couple of these)

Soldering Iron - RADIO SHACK FOR $19

Variac - MARLIN P JONES FOR $39

Scope - ANYTHING DECENT you can get used.
1 MHz, 5 mV, dual channel, a trigger that works.

Everything else can be built with these.

:cool:

... says the man with an AP in very room. ;)
But yes, you can built pretty good amps with these tools, (plus a signal generator, perhaps) if you know how to use them best.

Jan Didden

As a personal preference, I like a faster scope; one fast enough to see any HF oscillation.

My favorite was the original Tek 475; last I checked, a new CRT was prohibitive though. And whilst I'm sharing biases and prejudices, I'd avoid the early digital scopes like the plague. Inadequate sampling rates and poor firmware made aliasing a real problem.

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
Nelson Pass said:
You build the signal generator and the distortion analyzer
at the same time, and use them to test each other.

:cool:

Then, this good enuf (20-20K Hz)?
Thanks

Attachments

• distortion meter.jpg
    distortion meter.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 3,368
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
anatech said:
I had to redo the capacitors in the power supply, so that might be your first project. Don't increase the size.

-Chris

Understood.
Any good reason for that redoing?

By the way, the shop informed that only LDM-170 is available.
But, I found the price is too high to be a second hand tool.
If she does not lower the price, I should find another shop.

Tks, again :)

God help me, but I just broke my budget and bought one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/ybjpvt

What sort of hi-fi nut spends more money on test equipment than he does on actual audio gear? A DIY-er, of course! I couldn't hope to win the bid on a Heathkit AA-1800 power amplifier, not when I wanted this analyzer, too. The IMD capabilities are what grabbed my interest.

I guess I'll have to sell my two Heathkit distortion analyzer to help pay for this excess, but that's what Ebay is for, yes?

There are three of these Tektronix test sets left.

An approach to this could be one of the HP 400 series of AC voltmeters, that has an amplified output. A lot depends on how low the meter's noise and distortion is, of course. Heathkit's IM-5238 is a similar instrument, and I have won the bid on a unit on Ebay, so I will see how well suited it may be as a sound card "front end".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.