Disk Clamping - Which is best ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter Daniel said:
I still preferred the magnetic clamp that came with a boombox: the sound is more open and airy.

I tried a different clamp on a cdm-12. It too came from a 'boom-box' and was twice the diameter of the standard cdm-12 clamp and also had some thin felt on the disk side. It too sounded better - bass, detail etc.

Andy

Perhaps someone would like to describe process that enables fiddling with the clamp to alter the sound.

I thought we were still in the process of trying to reject our null hypothesis, that can be expressed as "all clamping mechanisms sound the same", or better " all clamping mechanisms sound the same on all the transports". As the process involves subjective perception ("sound") we need a democratic exercise, that is finding more voluntaries brave enough to perform this dangerous test :D

maxlorenz said:

I thought we were still in the process of trying to reject our null hypothesis, that can be expressed as "all clamping mechanisms sound the same", or better " all clamping mechanisms sound the same on all the transports". As the process involves subjective perception ("sound") we need a democratic exercise, that is finding more voluntaries brave enough to perform this dangerous test :D

I would suggest that one's perception of the music is coloured by the prior knowledge that the nature of the clamp has changed.

Peter Daniel said:

Well, I think it starts with finding suitable clamps that fit the existing transport.;)

Yes but if the assertions of many are to be believed then that is just the beginning. If the clamp is delrin with a brass insert then presumably it will produce a different result to a clamp made of copper and at this point it begins to sound a tad dubious to me as after all the numbers are not changing.

I would suggest that one's perception of the music is coloured by the prior knowledge that the nature of the clamp has changed.

But, as I said, we have not established yet that there is actually a change in sound universally perceived ...you jumped at the presumed mechanisms that explain the alternative hypothesis...

Even then, if the perceived (hypothetical) colouration is permanent and better sounding I would live it there. :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi rfbrw,
A little clearer then. All this talk of change is utter nonsense.
Well, considering that it seems that the experimenters have made zero effort to keep the rotating mass the same .......... Critical error !

The servos are tuned to the expected rotating mass of the system with a CD mounted. If you play with this, then you must retune the servo constants.

Re: rotating fields affecting the focus or tracking coils. No.

These are far enough away and shielded from the disc table by the metal in the head. If your head is plastic, stop. It's total scrap. Same if it has no bearing material for the rod and guide rail.

Anything at all that could possibly affect the sound will show up in the eye pattern. Any change will affect all frequencies equally, although the most annoying noises occur at the higher frequencies.

Can we put some of this silliness to bed now?

Hi Peter,
What do those transports look like? I mean when the view isn't blocked by large objects.

-Chris

Could someone explain exactly how a magnetic clamping device affects reproduction as opposed to a non-magnetic clamp (eg brass) ?? Andy

We must distinguish between two other kinds of clamping:
1) Automatic disc clamping (with tray loader)
2) manual clamping disc with a heavy weight as a cd overlay (top loader version)

The last is clearly by far the best solution, because the error in reading about automatic disc clamping is also very much dependent on what material is the CD itself. Some CDs are mechanically resonant, so that sometimes a special sine wave sound from the CD player goes out (interchanging with the suspension of the collimator lens from optical pick up) Additional there are a wide range of different thickness and hole diameter. This means, you can sometimes hear different sound by the same compact disc between two performed loadings !!! Therefore I hate automatic disc clamping for loaders with tray.

For automatic disc clamping (with tray loader) the VRDS from Teac I would prefer most likely - go to
Teac VRDS 9 vs VRDS 9 by AM-Audio [English]
for an example

For manual clamping disc I would prefer the solution from CEC like this model because the use of heavy wight covering for cd and belt drive:
CEC CD TRANSPORT TL0X
By the way, a very good template for diy, because the actually mechanism could be the Sanyo SFP-101N
Audio Spare SFP101N15 (SFP 101N 15) - DA11 MECHANISM 15PIN...
JusTone Lasereinheiten. SF-P101-5/8 / SFP101-5/8 SANYO Lasereinheit, Laserpickup, Laserunit, Pickup, Laser, Laserkopf
Other versions are Bow Technologies (ZZ-8, ZZ eight)
Bow bought - whathifi.com - whathifi.com
and sakurasystems flatfish 4713
FLATFISH

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.