Discussion on what materials to build speakers out of

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
sq225917 said:
has anyone ever used epoxy impregnated wood.

vacuum bag the wood with the air drain at the top and pre mixed low viscosity resin in the bottom,then heat it and suck the air out.

the epoxy gets drawn into the wood and sets, removing voids and giving a rock-solid material.

I have not done it... i have been thinking about it for years. One of my clients is giving it a go as we speak. He is building a curvy bruce out of barrel staved 1 1/2" (38mm) red cedar impregnated with polyurethane. The pieces will be soaked in a thin mixture... the way the liquid is sucked into the cedar shouls create a very complex transistion zone between no resin and lots which should create some very interesting properties.

curveyBruceS.jpg

Jonathan Carr (Lyra) suggestted in a thread on the same topic taking it a step further and laminating a sheet of fiverglass or kevlar closth to the panel.

dave

The wood is well dried and stable I have had it stored in my house for approximately ten years.My house is stable year round at aproximatwely 38% humidity.

Hi SCD!
Well, there you are. The problem with todays drying technique is that wood is processed and dried in 3-4 days. This is what we get in Baumaxx, Bauhaus and what else supermarkets for DIY here in Europe. I bet the situation is not better "overthere".
If the people controlling the drying process are skilled then there are no problems. But as always, faster means more care and precision.

I had a 100 year old house in Sweden in which I knocked down a wall. It was built of two inches thick, 100 year old pine. The boards were 10 times harder than the gene manupilated, fast growing Pine that are planted in Sweden today. Of course time makes it harder but the forests are not the same today as before.

Hmm, 25 Year rings/inch. Were talking high altitude growth/climate zone 5-6?

Nice speakers you have there!

Best regards
Peter

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
peterbrorsson said:
Were talking high altitude growth/climate zone 5-6?

I had the opportunity to help mill some fir similar to Scotts... {http://www.urbanmilling.com/}

In my case it had been logged in 190x and for some reason left to sit in the forest until the next time they clear-cut. They were in the way so they dropped them off in an ecoWoodlot right in the middle of the clear-cut. Once the outside was cut away the wood was fantastic.

Vancouver Island doesn't really have any extreme altitudes (it is thou the top of a mountai range sticking out of the pacific ocean with all the attendant fiords & such).

dave

Attachments

• 190x-fir-2.jpg
    190x-fir-2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,175
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
planet10 said:
Vancouver Island doesn't really have any extreme altitudes (it is thou the top of a mountai range sticking out of the pacific ocean with all the attendant fiords & such).

Highest peak is not quite 2.2 km (http://www.peakbagger.com/range.aspx?rid=1203). Attached is a snapshot from Google Earth -- i expect that this peak is in the snowy part and that Scott's wood came from near where he lives which is on the cost above the snowy peaks right to the left of where the water starts opening up.

My place has the pushpin and my chunk of wood came from right across the fiord below me on the map. (probably 400-600 m elevation -- i'm at about 245m on the side of Mount Finlayson, and the fiord is called Finlayson Arm)

dave

Attachments

• vi-topo.jpg
    vi-topo.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,066
Hi Dave!
It does not have to be high altitude. It depends also on the climate. That's why I put / in the question.
I come from the "south" of Sweden, relatively speaking, where the pine is growing in sand soil. This is also a highland plateau. Veeryy slow growth, beautiful and easy to stain!

The South European pine is just awful if one gets lowland pine. I have seen examples in my work with 1 cm summer wood!
High altitude on a North slope is another matter.

My place has the pushpin and my chunk of wood came from right across the fiord below me on the map. (probably 400-600 m elevation -- i'm at about 245m on the side of Mount Finlayson, and the fiord is called Finlayson Arm)

4-600 m is ideal for pine anyway. Still get some lenght combined with slow growth, voila excellent wood.
Looking at gle.earth image, I MISS THE SEA!

Cheers
Peter

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Re: building with real wood

SCD said:

One more thought
You have to go with what you know. If this is a first project or an experiment go with cheap material for the prototype. Once you are happy with the design and performance make furniture if you have the skills and the tools.

Most of all spend you time making things that is really what it is all about.

This goes back to my original post on the subject. SCD obviously knows how to handle solid wood (nice work BTW), the beginner and even a person who believes himself good with the tools and ready for that solid pine project can fall victim to solid woods unpredictability.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
MJL21193 said:
Dave: A little off topic again, but I noticed on your site that you deal vintage drivers. I have a pair of 8" woofers from a pair of Criterion 77 speakers. They are in pristine shape. Do you have any experience with these? I measured the T/S specs, and wasn't impressed. They are as follows, both drivers measure within 5% of each other, this is the average:
Fs - 107 Hz
Qms - 7.5
Qes - 2.3
Le - .52
Re - 6.3

I was thinking small OB, with that impossibly high Qes. Any ideas? Trash or Treasure?

Dave? No coment? Anyone?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MJL21193 said:
Dave? No coment? Anyone?

Sorry missed that post -- trying to get some work done here (phase plug install for a customer with Visaton B200s from Omega).

Those are considered gold. Especially if they are alnico. A Coral OEM. You measured parms are within experimental (and age) error.

[wuote]* a comment from the guy who bought 2 pairs "these are great speakers! I have speakers ranging from $100-3000 and these rank up there. listening with modded sonic impact..bypassed the volume pot, using a 5687 tube pre.WOW"[/quote]

Do you have the ones with the holey basket or the ovals? Did you also rescue the other drivers? The superTweeter is quite unique.

I may have some of my measures here. These are open baffle speakers, and you can get away without tweeters, but often people add a pair of thimble tweeters coaxially mounted.

http://www.timn8er.com/coral_open_baffle_project.htm

Attachments

• coral-crit-8fr.jpg
    coral-crit-8fr.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,022
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
planet10 said:

Sorry missed that post -- trying to get some work done here (phase plug install for a customer with Visaton B200s from Omega).

Those are considered gold. Especially if they are alnico. A Coral OEM. You measured parms are within experimental (and age) error.

I may have some of my measures here. These are open baffle speakers, and you can get away without tweeters, but often people add a pair of thimble tweeters coaxially mounted.

http://www.timn8er.com/coral_open_baffle_project.htm

Thanks for the good news.
That's my driver in the picture, except the magnet assembly is standard ceramic puck ~ 150 grams. Also basket has oval holes.
I only have the woofers., but they are in amazing shape, no signs of distress. Cool mess dustcaps.
I was thinking OB from the measurements, any ideas on baffle size?

EDIT: Sorry didn't look at that link you posted before writing this. Baffle is a good size, not keen of a coaxial tweeter arrangement though. Screw up the image if it's mounted above?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MJL21193 said:
not keen of a coaxial tweeter arrangement though. Screw up the image if it's mounted above?

The specific tweeters used -- once shaped with ductseal or somesuch, become pahse plugs of a sort. Moving the tweeter above or below with a cap to XO circa 10k doesn't seem to affect imaging that much. You do want to use something that has limited dispersion to match the radiation pattern of the top of the FR.

dave

Re: building with real wood

SCD said:
Good morning folks:

Good morning Scott. I read your post with great interest as I always do. It is so nice that with as much hands on experience as you have and I do mean hands on, that you could tell us that all we had to do was find some old growth fir and store it in our houses for 10 years before we used it. Thanks a lot buddy, you're a genius. ;)

I didn't laugh once while reading your post. I'm really disappointed.

chrisb said:
If nothing else, audio reproduction is about the art of balancing compromises.

Amen.

Wait... did Cal and Chris just agree on something audio? Uh-oh.

how thick does a cable need to be for bass frequencies? [/B]

Jumbo sized bass electons need jumbo wire, you know that.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
planet10 said:

The specific tweeters used -- once shaped with ductseal or somesuch, become pahse plugs of a sort. Moving the tweeter above or below with a cap to XO circa 10k doesn't seem to affect imaging that much. You do want to use something that has limited dispersion to match the radiation pattern of the top of the FR.
All I've got laying around here for tweeters are a pair of Seas 19TAF/D08 and a pair of Max Fidelity MF-DT4a, both 3/4" metal domes. The Max I can find no information on at all, like it doesn't exist, and I haven't even heard them yet. The Seas is very good IMO, delivers the detail I like to hear at the top end. 10K a little high to cross though? I was thinking in the 4500 to 5500 range. No coil on the woofer? How does it handle at breakup?

EDIT: I sound like a little kid...:eek:

Scottmoose said:

To cite the steel example, yup, it does ring. No argment. But using an appropriate gauge for a given application will push the resonant point below this passband. About 10 gauge should do if I remember what Greg told me correctly.
From what I remember, increasing the thickness will also raise resonant frequency, since stiffness goes up with the cube while mass only follows linearly with thickness.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
454Casull said:

From what I remember, increasing the thickness will also raise resonant frequency, since stiffness goes up with the cube while mass only follows linearly with thickness.

Are you refering to the steel? I would actually be interested in building a speaker from steel, but I,m not convinced the results would be any better. It's expensive, heavy and requires skills to work with that the average woodworker doesn't have (no matter how many episodes of Monster Garage you've watched. ;) ).
You want stiffness, do what Wilson audio does - use Corian. Now that's something I'd like to try. I've worked with it before (counter top obviously) It glues together, and the glue joins the parts and leaves no seam. Very heavy, very strong.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MJL21193 said:

All I've got laying around here for tweeters are a pair of Seas 19TAF/D08 and a pair of Max Fidelity MF-DT4a, both 3/4" metal domes. The Max I can find no information on at all, like it doesn't exist, and I haven't even heard them yet. The Seas is very good IMO, delivers the detail I like to hear at the top end. 10K a little high to cross though? I was thinking in the 4500 to 5500 range. No coil on the woofer? How does it handle at breakup?

EDIT: I sound like a little kid...:eek:

If you want to use a dome, you should waveguide load it to reduce its deispersion.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.