Discrete Opamp Open Design

Its as valid as a single tone or two tones or three tones or multiple tones (AP) we use now... just more tones. Its a way to gauge the total level of all the harmonics generated... similar to when music frequencies are the input being worked upon.
OK, mental exercise: have 20,000 amplifiers with those distortion characteristics, each one is fed a separate pure sine wave of the group that makes that complex waveform, and then combine their outputs, appropriately attenuated, in a "perfect" summing device. And alternatively, have a single such amp fed with the complex waveform made up of 20,000 sine waves; compare the output of that with the summing device. Will they match?

Frank

Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK, mental exercise: have 20,000 amplifiers
Will they match?

Frank

Before jumping to the 20000 number, why don’t you start this mental exercise with a two tone signal, two amplifiers and a two input perfect summer, then may be go to a three tone signal, three amplifiers…
By progressing this way, one at least has the chance to figure a pattern emerging

George

Last edited:
Would it be audible if the detection threshold is .05% or less? Should be. -RNM

Big "if" in the presence of 19,999 other full scale tones. Strikes me that using a musical signal where you feel there's a difference (or mirable dictu, actually demonstrated audibility of a difference) and nulling it against the input might give a clue?

If you want to get a frequency resolution narrow enough to let you look at all of the space between the 20,000 tones, the measurement time would be rather long.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK, mental exercise: have 20,000 amplifiers with those distortion characteristics, each one is fed a separate pure sine wave of the group that makes that complex waveform, and then combine their outputs, appropriately attenuated, in a "perfect" summing device. And alternatively, have a single such amp fed with the complex waveform made up of 20,000 sine waves; compare the output of that with the summing device. Will they match?

Frank

Let me try:

You have 20k amplifiers each having a transfer characteristic 'A', each being fed a signal S1....S20k. Each amp output is thus A*S1....A*S20k. After the perfect summer you have A*(S1+S2+...S20k).

Now take a single 'A' amp and feed it (S1+S2...S20k). Output will be A*(S1+S2...S20k).

Looks like a match to me. Of course, we could have skipped all of this by just invoking the superposition principle ;)

jan

The harmonics of a single tone produces some 'grass' on the FFT plot. Say .01% thd worth; Can't be heard. More simultanious tones, more grass growning and IM grass, too. After 20,000 tones have been applied, that .01% THD of each of thousands of tones adds up to enough to reach audible levels. The audible effect is an equivalent increase in the background noise level. Which is described as masking details or changing character of the sound depending on music freq content played. This might be why we need Really low thd numbers on a single tone test.... to prevent the accumulated harmonics of many simultaneous tones from reaching an audible threshold. -Thx RNM
Okay, let's go back to the original premise: "accumulated harmonics of many simultaneous tones from reaching an audible threshold". Let's try for infinity (and beyond!): what happens when the number of tones increases a magnitude, for each trial: by Richard's assertion, at each tenfold increase in number of tones the overall level of distortion will increase by at least some amount. So the limit as the number of tones approaches infinity is that the signal becomes completely distortion, nothing but. So an input signal that is composed of a number of tones approaching infinity is also output totally as distortion. Hmmm, where's the hole here ... ?

Frank

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
One thing I noticed about Bob's non-global-feedback MM preamp: it assumes the cartridge is connected differentially. This I suspect in large part accounts for the reasonable distortion numbers, as even harmonics will nearly cancel.

This is a blunder, I've had common mode effects on the brain lately; MM single-sided operation will be fine, especially given the cascoding, as long as the other side is grounded through a lot less than 100k. Thanks SG for pointing this out.

Let me try:

You have 20k amplifiers each having a transfer characteristic 'A', each being fed a signal S1....S20k. Each amp output is thus A*S1....A*S20k. After the perfect summer you have A*(S1+S2+...S20k).

Now take a single 'A' amp and feed it (S1+S2...S20k). Output will be A*(S1+S2...S20k).

Looks like a match to me. Of course, we could have skipped all of this by just invoking the superposition principle ;)

jan
There's a simple counter example to this scenario: take an amplifier with extreme even harmonic distortion, positive excursions severely differ from negative excursions in wave shape. Take 2 perfect sine waves of matching frequency and amplitude, but opposite phase as input: output from summing device is the difference between the positive and negative wave shapes; but that from the combined signals fed into single amplifier will be a null.

Frank

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There's a simple counter example to this scenario: take an amplifier with extreme even harmonic distortion, positive excursions severely differ from negative excursions in wave shape. Take 2 perfect sine waves of matching frequency and amplitude, but opposite phase as input: output from summing device is the difference between the positive and negative wave shapes; but that from the combined signals fed into single amplifier will be a null.

Frank

Yes if you sum two perfect sinewaves that are 180 degr out of phase you get zero. Send that through an amp and the output is still zero.
Not sure what that proves?

jan.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
In the other case, say your amp has a transfer function of 1*Vi + 0.5*Vi^2 (lots of 2nd harmonics as you postulated).
The 'pos' sine wave V gets an output of 1*V + 0.5*V^2.
The other is 180 degr out of phase so that amp gets an input of -V and the output is 1*-V + 0.5*-V^2. Add that after the two amps and again you get zero.
You'll have a hard time to prove the superposition principle wrong.

jan