Disappointing CD's....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was reffering to capturing actual imperfect sounds, Like a sloppy cymbal crash or a mike stand bump, a person clearing his throat. Subtle little sounds that you wouldn't pick up unless using a high quality system.

The description sounds annoying but actually make the recording more real. To me, these are not the things that make a recording sound bad.

What does, is usually a result of the engineer interfering and adding what he thinks are cool effects. The equipment should not have a quality of it's own. But this is not a perfect world.

davidlzimmer said:
I was reffering to capturing actual imperfect sounds, Like a sloppy cymbal crash or a mike stand bump, a person clearing his throat. Subtle little sounds that you wouldn't pick up unless using a high quality system.

The description sounds annoying but actually make the recording more real. To me, these are not the things that make a recording sound bad.

What does, is usually a result of the engineer interfering and adding what he thinks are cool effects. The equipment should not have a quality of it's own. But this is not a perfect world.

I totally agree. I love the little intakes of breath and lip noises and bumps and strange rustles.

It's OTT compression, OTT EQing and other badly used techniques that tend to make a recording unpleasant on a good system.

Simon

davidlzimmer said:
Nice system! :cheers:

Working on a pair of MTMs myself. I really like the sound of an MTM assisted by a (balanced) sub.

Mine? :D Thanks, yes the MTM is a nice design. More dynamic and bassy than a TM 2-way. Although it's not perfect... there's always work to do! And the sub is well balanced - only comes in under 50hz and cut off at 4th order so it's not booming away!

mpmarino said:
Too bad...I love Billy.

Anyone have any more...

Second Billy Joel.

Loved The Stranger on LP; sounds absolutely worthless on CD.
I played the intros of several songs but cannot get myself to enjoy it anymore.

Cheers
Johan

PS I just found out there´s an "enhanced" version. Does anyone know if it is better that the first incarnations on CD? Thanks

Edit: wow, there´s even a SACD.. Any thoughts on that?

I try and only buy SACDs now days if I'm going to add to my collection and if I buy a CD, I buy it used to save money.

The last CD I bought was Velvet Revolvers latest album because I LOVE Slash. Wow, what a suck machine. Aside from your typical new CD crap sound, Slash SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was named one of the top 3 guitar players of all time. Not in any order (I don't remember the order), but he was ranked up with Eddie Vanhalen and Eric Clapton. Not only did he not have his signature solo in songs that makes Slash, Slash, the songs sucked, the music was boring, and to top it all off, if you stick it in your computer, you get mess up your computer.

While in Costco (PA), I picked up the 4 CD Ray Charles Songbook Collection - it was cheap. Now I know why: God awful sound - a total waste - completely unlistenable. Somebody collected every out-take, bootleg recording and scrap of tape off the editing floor and decided to market them as a glossy 4 CD collection. What a dog! If Ray were alive, he'd no doubt be pissed. These CDs really bite the big one, as Leonard Pith Garnel would say.

Yesterday I listened to the latest Red Hot Chili Peppers and some Jonny Cash at a Friends and it was real bad,so that we turned it off after a while. He just bought it and we were really disapointed by the sound quality.It costed him 15€ each and we are going to buy our CD´S in shop`s only now, where You can listen to it I had that before and wrote an E-Mail to the Producer and the Artist asking why I should pay so much money for such a lousy work ,but never got an Answer.Everyone should be able to give CD`s back if they are that bad.If You have someone working for Yourself and it`s not OK,You won`t pay the Bill till it`s fixed.
Regards DT

Yesterday I listened to the latest Red Hot Chili Peppers and some Jonny Cash at a Friends and it was real bad,so that we turned it off after a while. He just bought it and we were really disapointed by the sound quality.

You should know that Stadium Arcadium is not that bad, a lot of albums sound worse than this one. Californication was clipping badly...

RHCP's album is far from being great quality stuff tho(But better than a lot of stuff IMO)

Californication, was not only clipping, it was distorted recorded also Played it 2 times, and never again.

Oh and Audioslave's latest album was recommended in an audiomagazine, not that bad as RHCP, but still not the best sound as other cd's can sound.

Also the remastered Moving Pictures from Rush sounds worse then on vinyl

I have a Mahlers 4ter CD, remastered by Philips, with Elly Ameling singing, recorded in dec. 1967!! This one sounds good!

I was just about to come here and complain about how clipped and distorted this Amy Winehouse CD is, but it looks like I beat myself to it about 7 weeks ago! lol

It was brought to my attention as they were really hyping the producer on "The Culture Show" (UK, BBC2). Talented guy I'm sure, but he should get someone else to help him with the sound part :bawling:

SimontY said:
.......It was brought to my attention as they were really hyping the producer on "The Culture Show" (UK, BBC2). Talented guy I'm sure, but he should get someone else to help him with the sound part :bawling:

Absolutely!! Bought the CD and watched that same show. I love the style of the album and the way it adds a new twist to the old stylee but yes, it is woefully clipped. :smash:

Why though? It's happily distorting all the way through. I love it but I can only listen to it when I'm too busy to notice. I suppose it is my new music for 'hoovering' to.

I usually comfort myself with "Gossip - standing in the way of control". Surprisingly good and motivating music without distortion.

Martin.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.