Dirt cheap Heavy Duty 18" PA driver, MCM 55-2994, likely weak motor? Still good value

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wonder how well those CV 6" midbass drivers would do in a synergy horn. Have your run the ones you purchased on the DATS? If so how well does it match up to the advertised specs?

I've always kindof wanted to brainstorm ridiculously cheap ways to get PA top performance on a tiny budget by using overstock speakers like that. I think the gold standard for cheap PA is Mackie SRM 450s. They sound great, are plug-and-play active, and they can be found used for less than 300. Means that a DIY passive cabinet would have to be less than 100 in parts to be competitive, but I think it could be done.

Zeta ,
I have two of the CV 6s left that i haven't used for anything yet so i can put them on the DATS for you :) It would be cool to know that they could work on a synergy horn .....

Mackie definitely "nailed it" with the 450, finding used ones for under $300 is a score , great little box..

cool MMJ on the Crown XLS ! = solid amp series - wanted to try the CV6 but ended up with 2-Eminator 1508 at $15.50 ea shipped with another pair coming -

Freddi,
Heck Yes! I am happy about it .... I have the Crown hooked up to the Karlflex right now , enjoying the sound .... I have the output of my laptop's external USB sound card going into the unbalanced RCA inputs on the back of the amp and there is a little bit of ground loop noise that can be heard if i turn the gains up all of the way .... If i unplug the laptop's power supply the ground loop noise goes away ... This could probably be eliminated if the amp had a "ground lift" option on it, but it is no big deal because this amp's permanent home will be in my living room PA system which uses balanced cabling ....... If i wanted to continue to use it with the laptop then i would just a get a ground-loop isolator (which are made out of small 1:1 audio transformers) .. .

Other than that groundloop issue i am really happy with the amp so far , the cooling fan doesn't seem to kick on (i haven't pushed it enough for that yet) so it is extremely quiet .... It is super light , and the chassis has very little depth (which kinda surprised me) ...

The digital menus are very simple and easy to get through ... Very nice :happy2:

how much does Apex charge roughly to ship the 6" CV's?

It has been a while since i ordered those, almost 2 years ago now i think... I might be able to find the shipping amount in my records ..... I don't think it was very much though, If his shipping amount was outlandish i would have remembered for sure ..

Congrats on getting the discounted Eminence 15s! Good score! :)

is that a "real speaker" ? re:xls - could be nice to have a shallow thin but sturdy plywood rack for a couple plus mixer if using on the road

Right? Is it real or is it photoshopped?

If there were actually woofers this size i would imagine they would have some problems like cone sag and lack of pistonic cone movement at anything other than the deeep inaudible sub-bass range ... Beaming would start pretty low too ... The motor required to properly move this cone would need to be a beast, and then what about an enclosure??? I am thinking infinite-baffle sort of applications?

By the way guys, another good deal:

Quality Woofer From LG

Check this one out:

http://www.zalytron.com/

Scroll down and look at: Zalytron 1201PL Twelve Inch Woofer

Eight 12" subs for $99.

I cannot take credit for finding this, my buddy Jeff told me about it. But I've heard his enclosure (it houses 4 of these woofers), and it is impressive.

That is 8 - 12" - woofers for $99. Do the math. Holy cow.

Check this one out:

Zalytron

Scroll down and look at: Zalytron 1201PL Twelve Inch Woofer

Eight 12" subs for $99.

I cannot take credit for finding this, my buddy Jeff told me about it. But I've heard his enclosure (it houses 4 of these woofers), and it is impressive.

That is 8 - 12" - woofers for $99. Do the math. Holy cow.

Interesting. I wonder why they're getting rid of them so cheap?

If I could afford the shipping, I'd by 16 of them and use them in two slot-loaded push-pill open baffle (or even infinite-baffle, if I could) subwoofers.

Another 18

I have another driver to add to our super bargain discussion:D

Parts Express has the PRV 18SW2000 on sale for $170:bigeyes: With Free shipping:)
Some of the products from Brazil have turned out to be really good so this driver might be worth checking out ..

Based upon it's published specs it appears to have a strong motor and a respectable amount of xmax for a budget pro driver.

The only vital parameter that was missing from PRV's list for this driver was the voicecoil inductance measurement, so i just sent a message off to Parts Express asking them to measure one of those 18SW2000s and get back to me with the "Le", specifically at 1khz ...

PRV Audio 18SW2000 18" High Power Pro Audio Subwoofer 8 Ohm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.