Directivity characteristics - what's the effect?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not so sure that's true.

Whilst the curves were generated for the median plane there's no reason to believe they aren't applicable somewhat off the median plane as well. (Maybe out to about 30 degrees or so)

In the median plane the ITD and ILD will both be zero eveywhere (complete symmetry of the head is asssumed, but our heads are never exactly symmetric so maybe there is always some ITD and ILD). Since these values are "differences" they will rise very quickly off of the median plane. Since so much of our localization perception is based on the ITD and ILD the median plane is indeed quite unique in this regard. I would guess that the assumptions made for those graphs fails at only a few degrees away from the median. Certainly by 30 degrees the assumptions are completly false.

I hope a very non-technical perspective on this is allowed ...
Fo the past several months I have been listening to a two channel system comprised of a typical direct radiating loudspeaker and a "typical" omni orientated loudspeaker ... both connected (L&R and vice/versa).

This started out as a sort of experiment, mainly because I wondered what all the fuss was about. Secondarily, because I'd like to knock together a pair of loudspeakers .. just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger with the saw until hearing "both" examples for myself. .... and I still can't decide which is "best" :p

Frankly, it occurred to me that neither is "best" at all things musical. (this I'm sure has been pointed out by others as well) They both have their sets of pro's and con's from a music reproduction standpoint. One tends to be "in your face" while the other tends to be more relaxed but articulate.

Being from a musical background has honestly kept me on the fence. I listen to everything. Lately I've been toying with the idea of having a convertible loudspeaker ... one that can be swiveled to either configuration. They both sound that good ... but not always, if that makes any sense.

Dr Geddes: you have put yourself on thin ice by commenting on research you actually have not looked at. At the very least look at the figure caption provided by Dr Blauert in his book (yes there is an english translation). You have misunderstood the data that are plotted in that figure. The subsequent discussion has generated quite a bit of misinformation.

In reference to your other thoughts about the possible uniqueness of the median plane, I would encourage you to familarize yourself with the concept of the "cone of confusion".

Dr Geddes: you have put yourself on thin ice by commenting on research you actually have not looked at. At the very least look at the figure caption provided by Dr Blauert in his book (yes there is an english translation). You have misunderstood the data that are plotted in that figure. The subsequent discussion has generated quite a bit of misinformation.

In reference to your other thoughts about the possible uniqueness of the median plane, I would encourage you to familarize yourself with the concept of the "cone of confusion".

Don't be condescending.

The median plane is a unique limit of the cone-of-confusion, and yes I knew the concept. The caption under Fig.2.47 in Blauerts book (yes I know that it is in English, I have a copy) says nothing to refute my claim that this data only applies to sources in the median plane. Perhaps this is why it is in the chapter entitled "Evaluating Identical Ear Input Signals", with "One Sound Source" I should add - not very relevent to the current discussion. In fact its not very relavent to sterophony at all.

Don't be condescending.

The median plane is a unique limit of the cone-of-confusion, and yes I knew the concept. The caption under Fig.2.47 in Blauerts book (yes I know that it is in English, I have a copy) says nothing to refute my claim that this data only applies to sources in the median plane. Perhaps this is why it is in the chapter entitled "Evaluating Identical Ear Input Signals", with "One Sound Source" I should add - not very relevent to the current discussion. In fact its not very relavent to sterophony at all.
----------------------------------

I now remember why I don't talk about "work stuff" on an internet forum.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.