Direct driving Apogee Full Range speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thanks LS and Davey. this has been a big help in guiding me towards an appropriate decision. Now its down to;
A.)go with stock transformer box with an eye towards upgrading caps, resistors and MR trans
B.)replace stock transformr box with dedicated custom transformers for both MR and TW. I know Henk over in Europe likes this approach.

i dont think i can just leave the stock trans box alone - there would almost certainly be an improvement from upgrading, especially the caps and trans. But when i think about the expense of that (good caps are pricey now a days), it seems like a better bet to just build custom transformers for MR and TW and avoid the RC. Since im already actively filtering at the line level might as well do all the XO work there. Yes?

thanks LS and Davey. this has been a big help in guiding me towards an appropriate decision. Now its down to;
A.)go with stock transformer box with an eye towards upgrading caps, resistors and MR trans
B.)replace stock transformr box with dedicated custom transformers for both MR and TW. I know Henk over in Europe likes this approach.

i dont think i can just leave the stock trans box alone - there would almost certainly be an improvement from upgrading, especially the caps and trans. But when i think about the expense of that (good caps are pricey now a days), it seems like a better bet to just build custom transformers for MR and TW and avoid the RC. Since im already actively filtering at the line level might as well do all the XO work there. Yes?

Hi 90493m

Have you looked at the Hypex NC400 n-core digital amps yet. I know that Stig Erik Tangen uses them with his B&G RD75 ribbons with a PC based active XO, and loves them. Maybe an alternative?

Then an OT question: being an avid Apogee fan, and having owned many different models, which would you say is the best? The Fullrange? The Scintilla? And have you heard/owned the big reference models? Just curious as I have admired Apogees for a long time.

Thanks,
Deon

Hi Deon
no i tend to stick with analog XO and amps. Tried DEQX a few yrs ago but never got a sound i liked. have not tried any of the class D/switching amps sorry.
i have owned Apogee Full range, scintilla and Duetta Sig. They all sound very good. i like the Full Range the best as it really sounds more like having live music in front of you. its image and dynamics long wtih detail capture make it sound that much more real than the others. The Scintilla sounds great in a 'romantic' sort of way. Reminds me Quad 57 with better low end. The Full Range takes more amplification and is more complex but very rewarding when set up well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.