Direct Drive fun!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Kenwood

Cobra2 said:
I can not remember the spec of the KD-650 I used to own...
but you can find a few pictures here on the SP-10 motor

http://de.geocities.com/bc1a69/tech_eng.html

Arne K

Thanks for the link.

Well, according to the photo, it looks like 15 poles for the SP-10 mkII. If that's "many more" than the SP-15, then how few does it have? My KD 650 sales pamphlet states 20 poles/30 slots (same motor as the KD 750). So, I suppose it has less cogging than the SP-10, on paper anyway.

Max

Joined 2002
Paid Member
:D the niose-spec, I mean.
Anyway, with an unknown exeption for the cheapest plastic DD players, I do not think you will find much motor-cogging.
If you think you can separate that from bearing-cogging.
(never heard cogging problems, or motor-rumble from any of my DD players; MS. DQ 50, KD-650, Dual CS 741Q, SL-1210, SL-5, SL-6, SL-7, SP-15, SP-10 and a few more...

Arne K

Cobra2 said:
(never heard cogging problems, or motor-rumble from any of my DD players; MS. DQ 50, KD-650, Dual CS 741Q, SL-1210, SL-5, SL-6, SL-7, SP-15, SP-10 and a few more...

Arne K

Me neither. I think it's the cheap, lightweight DD tables that have given direct drive its bad reputation. However, if you were to take an equally cheap, lightweight belt drive table, it might not have cogging, but I bet it would have some wow/flutter issues.

maxro said:

Me neither. I think it's the cheap, lightweight DD tables that have given direct drive its bad reputation. However, if you were to take an equally cheap, lightweight belt drive table, it might not have cogging, but I bet it would have some wow/flutter issues.

Agree totally.
The issuesaround DD motors really began when the brilliant marketing by Linn Sondek was beginning to make its impact. It was at this time that the better DDtts began to appear. The TRio/Kenwood etc. were all DD and built for pro use. DDs were German or Japanese and very expensive, and in their heyday the gospel of being a BD Uk product was the Gospel being spread.. These BDs were in every shop, but where could you see a top DD other than in a brochure?
Brianco

Cobra2,

If that link is correct and the SP-10 has 20 poles, then what is the motor pictured here to which you linked in post #25? It clearly has 15 coils which I would think means 15 poles. Was the Mk II downgraded from the Mk I as far as quantity of poles goes? Not that it really matters, just curious.

Max

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.