Dipole sub for wall placement ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On SL's homepage I have once seen a proposal for a corner-placement dipole sub (the original idea was from Mr. Selmer from France).
I did some thinking and came to the idea of an arrangement that is basically a line that is open at both ends. The driver is placed in the middle or even a little offset to avoid TML effects.
The side backside would then be placed against the wall, the open ends facing to the left and right.
My imagination tells me that this would have two lobes to the side and one to the front (the latter with it's mirror image to the back but it wont get far there). The front lobe is the one that we would listen to.
For easier understanding I have attached a drawing.

Any comments ?

Regards

Charles

Attachments

• wall_dipole.jpg
    wall_dipole.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 187
From the diagram, I'm not sure how it would work. Yes it has the open sides, but the rear wave is going to be stopped, and it is the rear wave coming around and cancelling that produces the dipole pattern.

So what you would have is a monopole sub with even more sound than normal coming out the sides.

If you can do it, I'd suggest mounting the driver in the wall and making it an infinite baffle.

Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.