Digital stream switching

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
janneman said:

This particular test should tell me whether all CD drives sound the same or not. I mean we know that bits is bits, but there is the issue of jitter (time distortion?). So by transparantly switching between CD drive digital outputs either there will be an audible difference or not.
Jan Didden

It's not quite the same thing, but couldn't you test the same thing by using two identical DACs to drive with your different transports and switching between the line level outputs of the DACs ?

This would remove all issues real or imaginary which are due to switching the S/PDIF signal.

I'll be interested to see the results, however you do it.

David.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jocko Homo said:
[snip]The first step in chosing a tester was to put a short cable in the tape loop, and see if they heard a difference. Add to that, sometimes I would flip the switch, but they were still listening to the same position, over and over.

The guys who claimed they heard a BIG difference flunked. I won't mention any names, as you guys may recall one or two of them as members here. Heh, heh.[snip]Jocko

Well, one eye-opener (ear-opener?) for me was that test with Ivor Tiefenbrunn of Linn fame, who was unable to detect the insertion of a vintage SONY PCM-1 (with serial A/D - D/A converters) in a tape loop of his equipment. Made me REALLY sceptical about what is the limit of audibility.

Jan Didden

Dear Jan,

Do I understand well, the test You want to do is to take a given transport - prepare different technology SPDIF output drivers on it - switch the different SPDIF outputs to that same Dac? If so, then I would say the best thing is just to disconnect that same SPDIF cable at the transmitter end, and reconnect it to the competitive output. Maybe in a hidden way from the audience, under some cover.
Because in this way one does not alter the real life conditions in the transmission channel formed by the SPDIF connection, and so does not deteriorate signal integrity. Given that the possible differences are just hidden there, in the signal integrity, I think any kind of intrusion like relays / switches would heavily falsificate the result.
The same is valid for complete transports.
I do this regularly and at least for me there are obvious differences.

But then, finding the correlations between sound and technology..
For example, if you find something pleasing, one particular transport with that cable [&with those connectors..] connected to that special dac input.. None of which is respecting the standards, that is, for example the cable is not exactly 75 ohm, the Dac is spitting back on the line because of the input hysteresis, then that RCA coax output which You had mentioned on your player..
But anyway, such a test can be quite a good eye-opener.
And while trying to guess at the possible correlations, Jocko's hints are something to be contemplated over..

Ciao, George

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Joseph K said:
Dear Jan,

Do I understand well, the test You want to do is to take a given transport - prepare different technology SPDIF output drivers on it - switch the different SPDIF outputs to that same Dac? If so, then I would say the best thing is just to disconnect that same SPDIF cable at the transmitter end, and reconnect it to the competitive output. Maybe in a hidden way from the audience, under some cover. [snip]But anyway, such a test can be quite a good eye-opener.
And while trying to guess at the possible correlations, Jocko's hints are something to be contemplated over..

Ciao, George

Hello George,

Yes, I had something like that in mind, but actually not modifying the transports, use as-is, just switch their signals in an A-B comparison, playing identical CDs on each transport.

I realise that unplugging-re-plugging the cable(s) is even more transparant than the best switch, but I would like to avoid the hassle and loss of time and concemtration of the several seconds it must take to change cables.

But maybe all things considered it might be best.

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
hembrow said:

It's not quite the same thing, but couldn't you test the same thing by using two identical DACs to drive with your different transports and switching between the line level outputs of the DACs ?

This would remove all issues real or imaginary which are due to switching the S/PDIF signal.

I'll be interested to see the results, however you do it.

David.

David,

In re-reading this, your proposal may be the solution. I have two identical DACs (really 6 identical DACs ;) ) in my two Behringer DCX2496-s. I'll look into that.

Thanks.

Jan Didden

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Digital stream switching

janneman said:
Well, time and time again I find that if I do A/B testing with friends, and there is no audible difference, they all blame the switches and/or the cabling for masking differences that HAD to be there. So, by keeping the switching absolutely simple, I try to circumvent that particular trap. Not sure it'll be enough though.

Jan Didden

Hi Jan,
Simple with S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital InterFace :whacko: ) doesn't really work, you must be very careful, because you may disgrace every transport you connect through the switch.

I have made a simple switch years ago, nothing special but BNC connectors, 75 ohm cable inside, double SPDT (I switched the grounds too)...
The result was a disaster:

http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=7622#7622

It is not easy to switch S/PDIF without mucking it up (more than it already is), and probably this is true for whatever you try to do, passive or active.

janneman said:

Well, after several years on this forum I am slowly getting converted to the value of a comparative listening test (as long as it is blind, of course;) . This particular test should tell me whether all CD drives sound the same or not. I mean we know that bits is bits, but there is the issue of jitter (time distortion?). So by transparantly switching between CD drive digital outputs either there will be an audible difference or not. If there is, it's good to know because we can improve the sound by improving the CD drives/ digital output. If there isn't, there is another question: is it because all CD drives sound the same or is it because the rest of the system masks the differences?
Either way, it should prove interesting.

Jan Didden

This is part of the info i have been looking for.
For a difference in sound, the rest of the system would have to be extremely good.
also the
quailty
connectivity(i2s,spdif, proprietory, etc)
reliability
of a cd drive between different brands, old and new.

Helps when i find the right words to search with, and which to exclude.

allan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
seoman said:
Call me crazy but

why not use relays ?
When I look at the Takamisawa NA..WK it should be good enough
http://www3.schukat.com/schukat%5Cpdf.nsf/index/D7A9070BAE9CBEB3C1256E21005439F8/$file/na.pdf

With a price of 1,5 € it seems to be worth a try.

There are more HF capable small signal relays out there.

Regards Simon

Simon,

There are good cases to be made that using simple relays switching high-speed signals can upset he signal integrity, timings etc.

Most high-speed switches are made using some kind of transmission line construction to avoid reflections and skewing of the waveform. That is standard hf technology. I ordered coaxial BNC relays to do this testing; haven't yet got them though.

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.