Digital Pot for GC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MantramAudio said:
I would recommend getting 3 DS1802's and hooking them up and listening. The connection is a breeze, and you'll never know until you listen. I was impressed by my initial tests, but my setup was not that great.

You're right Nik - sample DS1802's are on their way, so no excuses really. Will do.

The CS3310 is a better choice based on specs, but much more difficult to implement.
Yeah - just like PGA2310 and LM1792 etc. :( Which is why I'm wondering if I really need to learn to program a PIC for my volume - I mean there's lots of other, more sound related stuff in my stereo that need doing ;)

Knobs - are cool, but not essential => something that can be fiddled with when the sound is coming through :cool:

till said:

sorry, the documentation isn not ready yet - i need more time. I allreday posted a link to a preview:

Ahh - wunderbar. I will read and enjoy ;-)

till said:

I use alps mechanical rotary encoders for about 1/10 of that price. I have some print and front mount, with or without pushbutton in stock. At the date the doc is finished and enough tests are done on the firmware also ready programmed pics are avaiable for those members who don´t want to make them diy.

Even better!!! The concept of a nice rotary encoder and not having to build a PIC programmer etc. etc. first, makes use of PIC control much more appealing!!! Looking forward to it!

Thank's a lot guys - will keep my eyes on the page!

/cdl

Oh, I gathered it wasn't in the business sense.

Till, just now I read through your relay based volume control, looks very nice indeed. But how many "steps" of attenuation can you achieve with that? I ask because using only 8 (for single ended) relays in total is 4 per channel, which is much simplier than most such type volume controls. It looks very interesting and has sparked my interest. I'm starting to lean towards such a solution now...

Thinking about it, 4 per channel, does that result in 2^4 steps? You meantioned 0-255 as possible values for your 8 bit variable, so that would be 2^8 possibilities. Is it 8 or 16 relays per channel?

Sorry for all the questions, but you got me interested in this now... :)

I will try to make the pre-amp at figure 5 (page5) In dallas application note 161, but i dont anderstand the schematic.

I see digital grounds and analoge grounds in that schematic, what is the difference, can they be connected?. What voltages do i use on the Vcc's in the schematic?

is ther anybody who has a clear schematic or a PCB?

I am making een PCB for this application, but becouse of my ground misanderstanding i stopt it.

Excuses for my poor language, i do the best i can.

By the way, i got 2 samples DS1802, and i will use the pre-amp foor the power-amp "BebeT", (i am making this one at the moment).

thanks for help, if you can !

Wim Souer, Holland.

wim said:
I will try to make the pre-amp at figure 5 (page5) In dallas application note 161, but i dont anderstand the schematic.

I see digital grounds and analoge grounds in that schematic, what is the difference, can they be connected?. What voltages do i use on the Vcc's in the schematic?
thanks for help, if you can !

Wim Souer, Holland.

Notice the different ground symbols for AGND and the Vss lines. One is a signal ground, one is an earth ground. This is to help eliminate noise in the signal path. All the grounds that look like the on at AGND need to be tied to the AGND pin, and then run a single wire to the same point the Vss line is tied to. This is called a star grounding pattern.

I didn't connect the AGND pin to earth at all, and mine was very quiet.

Nik

If you is of interest am thinking to allow to all the DiY members to make a will the CS3310 sound.
My idea is to furnish to the forum all the necessary ( programs compiled inclusive ) for interfacing a normal single pot.with the CS3310 across a economic Pic . The programming will be that can be managed by anyone with a simple adapter and of the freeware programs, without is experienced in controller.
The operation will be simple: Pot. Volume to 0 = mute vol max = max gain( set up with of the jumper ).
All will decide that analogic hardware add first and after the CS3310. See you soon...

Ciao

Mauro

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.