Digital Oscilloscope?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cool! I'm never the only bidder on that site, and almost everything I ever bought was broken ("works" or "powers up, can not test further").

What you really want is one of these generators ... The HP 652A or HP 654A (not pictured). The 652A is leveled and has an output meter to monitor that level - accurately. These are wonderful instruments. The 654A has calibrated step attenuators with a small range vernier. These are more for lab than service, and you can really get tight control with these.

There is also an HP 331A and HP 334A THD analyzers. Again, wonderful to operate compared to a few newer makes like the Leader I used for years. Once you have one of these, you quickly learn to love them. Of course I now use the HP 339A these days, and would love some of the newer models, like the new Keysight U8903A, I think the "B" is coming out. Then there are some others that would be fantastic to have.

Keep your eyes peeled for one of these generators and THD analyzers that can be had cheap. If you fall into an HP 339A in good condition, grab it! You've had good luck so far, so I hope it continues for you.

-Chris

Attachments

• 652A.jpg
    652A.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 305
  • 331A.jpg
    331A.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 651
  • 334A.jpg
    334A.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 296
I've been watching them. I just bought the other one because I hated the steps in the sine wave the Rigol puts out. They look awful on an analog scope. Plus I prefer knobs and switches to buttons, and menus.

I usually watch for adds with screwed up descriptions post the first bid, and let it ride.

The Office Wholesalers are good to watch because they think they have ten of the same thing, but when you look at the pictures it could very well be something else. I've got some deals doing that.

I just bought a dual 1224 for 20 bucks shipped because it was spelled daul, and had the serial # listed as the model.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi nthall,
Nice strategy. Keep doing what works. I think that because I'm across the border, we get all the junk. I refuse to use Ebay these days for used equipment as a result. That and the Ebay prices for shipping are insane!

I guess we better get back on topic though. Yes, analog equipment is perfect for the needs of a hobbyist.

-Chris

I'm also a newbie to this osciloscope, I have my eyes on old analog scope around $100-$200 on my local store, however I still can find a brand new Agilent analog scope (dont know it's type) which maybe only 20MHz.

Which one will be better? analog scope 20MHz vs digital scope 50MHz same price range? both brand new.

my bad, sorry guys i wrote my previous post wrong, type it when i just wake up :D what i mean for $100-$200 range is old second hand analog osci, so many available with different brand. while brand new analog scope is around $400-$500 which will be the same price as entry level digital one.

another question, how will it be different between 20MHz vs 50 or 100MHz for audio testing purpose? I even find 5MHz old second hand scope with less than $100. Any rule of thumb for MHz numbers choice?

A 20mhz model would cover pretty much anything you would need for for testing analog amps.

It's always nice having more.

I was wondering if you were looking at a generator, after reading the post. A PC with a cheap usb dac is a good start for use as a signal generator. Probably better than $200 dollars will get you. But you have to control it with point and click which I personally hate. The hardcore audiophile guys seem to prefer it.

@nthall
yes my second item seller also have signal generator, distorsion analyzer and many others measurement items. but firstly i should get scope for my toys and learn to use it, i might use my laptop as your suggestion. I remember long time ago at university lab to use it, but never touch any scope after that.

It seems 20MHz should be enough rite, I think that brand new analog scope is below one

http://www.amazon.com/Atten-Channel-Analog-Oscilloscope-Probes/dp/B00BK9U9OW

the store said this is the last analog scope series available, everyone is going digital.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi gadut,
You need 0.5uS /div minimum. Many 20 MHz 'scopes support that, but you have got to look.

The best scope to buy will depend on the make a great deal. Like when you said Agilent, my response was instant. So see if you can list the brands and models so we can give you accurate information.

From what I have seen of Rigol so far, they are a pretty solid 'scope. One thing that you need to know is that a digital scope needs to be 5x faster than an equivalent analog scope. The waveform has to be sampled enough times to give you an accurate idea of wave shape. The 1/2 nysk sampling frequency thing only applies to sine waves (or co-sine waves). :D For everything else, especially square waves, you do need to sample at a much higher rate. So my 500 MHz DSO should be just good enough for the FM band. But! I have an Agilent that samples at 2 GSa/s, so I get the 500 MHz - just. The 4x sample rate isn't going to be good for an accurate square wave, but it will do nicely for the sine waves on usually encounters up there. So you need to look at sample rate, or speed if it isn't specified.

-Chris

Edit:
Check the prices for the Rigol. That seems expensive for a 20 MHz scope. I think I know what it really is.

Last edited:
@nthall
yes my second item seller also have signal generator, distorsion analyzer and many others measurement items. but firstly i should get scope for my toys and learn to use it, i might use my laptop as your suggestion. I remember long time ago at university lab to use it, but never touch any scope after that.

It seems 20MHz should be enough rite, I think that brand new analog scope is below one

http://www.amazon.com/Atten-Channel-Analog-Oscilloscope-Probes/dp/B00BK9U9OW

the store said this is the last analog scope series available, everyone is going digital.

Without fail, Atten (aka Gratten) sells rubbish scopes. I have not seen a single one from them that I would purchase.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.