Digital Cable Length

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jwb said:

Let's say you have an S/PDIF driver wired with some traces to a 75Ω BNC connectors, then a 75Ω BNC cable to another 75Ω BNC connector with a 75Ω terminating resistor and some traces to a receiver. Where does that depart from the ideal? Each connector introduces an impedance discontinuity, from which the signal will reflect. When these reflections reach the transmitter, they are reflected again back to the receiver. This second-order reflection, and all higher even-order reflections, are the ones that can mess up your signal.

Seems to me that we should eliminate as many of these connections as possible, and solder the cable directly to the pins of the transmitter and receiver chips.

What do you think of the Apogee Wide Eye S/PDIF cable? I have a 126cm length of it that I never did anything with, the one before they started to mark "direction" on it.

RonS

Seems to me that we should eliminate as many of these connections as possible, and solder the cable directly to the pins of the transmitter and receiver chips.

That will probably make things worse, as there will be a discontinuity when you break the center conductor out from the shield.

About the same amount you would see from using an RCA without one of Phred's networks..................

Jocko

What do you think of the Apogee Wide Eye S/PDIF cable? I have a 126cm length of it that I never did anything with, the one before they started to mark "direction" on it.

RonS [/B][/QUOTE]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not as much as it is made out to be. I have several. spdif, bnc and aes/ebu in different lengths. They all ring more than better cables (illuminati etc) and sound ok but not spectacular in a wide range of systems. The best cable I have come across is the Illuminti D60 with the old version better than the new.

Guido Tent said:
dear all,

I myself make use of all above described, and do not hear differences between 1 meter or less or more

Ofcourse the jitter immunity of the DAC play a big role here
-------------------------------------------------------------

Guido

Do you have a design for a good format convertor/dejitter board which can be fitted inside a player?

I use an external Assemblage D2D which makes a huge difference.

Fred Mak

Re: Size matters

Fred Dieckmann said:
Many of the 1/2 meter digital cables I have heard sound much worse than the 1 meter version. The reflection time for that length of cable can put the refected signal back on the rising edge on the digital signal. This depends on the rise of the cable driver circuit and the velocity factor of the coax. I have found 1.5 meters to sound better than one meter cable and that was the standard length of the cables I designed for Audient Technologies.

Hi Fred,

Does this imply that al the internal wiring of a DAC c.q. CD-player carrying clock signals and digital data signals (I2S, SPDIF etc.) must be at least 1m long :confused:

Come on Fred, a proper terminated HF cable ….? Longer cables are more susceptible to EMI (e.g. from mains cables) and as such can introduce more jitter due to varying threshold levels such EMI can cause at the receiver end.

Oh and the mismatch due to the 2 cm long cinch plugs is so small that you can safely ignore it concerning overshoot/undershoot at the receiving end.

For those who want to change to BNC connectors, be careful to use the 75 ohms ones then and not the 50 ohms ones. The 50 ohms ones are much more common.

:cool:

fmak said:

Not as much as it is made out to be. I have several. spdif, bnc and aes/ebu in different lengths. They all ring more than better cables (illuminati etc) and sound ok but not spectacular in a wide range of systems. The best cable I have come across is the Illuminti D60 with the old version better than the new.

In my main system I use an Illuminati, I think it's the D30, I'd have to check. It's pretty stiff and yellowish in colour. Much better than the Van Den Hul cable I used before. I bought the apogee wideeye when I was picking up some mic cable, figured I could use it one day. I think I'll use it between my DVD players digital output and my home theatre receiver.

RonS

Re: Re: Size matters

Pjotr said:

Does this imply that al the internal wiring of a DAC c.q. CD-player carrying clock signals and digital data signals (I2S, SPDIF etc.) must be at least 1m long :confused:

Let's distinguish between a transmission line like the S/PDIF link and shorter traces. Reflections aren't a problem if the length of the trace is sufficiently short with respect to the rise time of the signal.

Jitter Causes Everywhere

I think it is Jocko who has made mention in the past of lousy reciever stages spitting data (noise) back up the line.

This I expect is one of the first things to sort out, and then optimum cable lengths and Phreds termination networks.

Of course all need to be done to gain max performance, and then maybe a line driver that does not react to incoming (backfeed) junk.
Interestingly one of my trick cables works wonders on digital data coax feeds too.

Eric.

Do you have a design for a good format convertor/dejitter board which can be fitted inside a player?

Inside a player or a D/A box???

If I designed one, would anyone buy it?????

As for longer cables.........

No Phred and I are not kidding. A good RX circuit will have no problem with all that extra noise. And it will not couple any back onto the line, which is more detrimental.

Jocko

Jocko Homo said:

As for longer cables.........

No Phred and I are not kidding. A good RX circuit will have no problem with all that extra noise. And it will not couple any back onto the line, which is more detrimental.

Jocko

How about like the Assemblage D2D, as a stand alone unit? Although I'm uncertain that I need one. I'm using a Sonic Frontiers SFT1 transport, which is supposed to have extremely low jitter. It was designed by UltraAnalog for SF. The d/a is an Assemblage Dac2 ( I know your opinion of SF digital gear Jocko

:rolleyes: )

RonS

It may have low jitter, but I suspect that they are refering to jitter coming off of the disc. Two diferent beasts to deal with.

The methods to reduce sensitivty to jitter on the TX end of the cable is similar to those on the RX side. Not hard, but no one pays attention to it.

Speaking of which......a famous audio designer once built a D/A box with a 100 ohm resistor on the input. When I asked him why not 75 ohms, he replied:

"Hey, it is a lot closer than no load at all. Which is what most everyone else does. 100 ohms is what we had that day."

Or even worse.......a 5-pole LPF.

As for internal stuff.......it is possible to build a good clock that is phase locked to the recovered clock with a long time constant. I would expect that such a circuit would need the incoming signal to be within +/- 500 ppm, as it would be hard to pull a decent crystal very far without degrading performance.

Jocko

As for internal stuff.......it is possible to build a good clock that is phase locked to the recovered clock with a long time constant. I would expect that such a circuit would need the incoming signal to be within +/- 500 ppm, as it would be hard to pull a decent crystal very far without degrading performance.

Jocko

Hi Jocko and others,

A pull range of 500ppm is not feasible, unless you have a very cheap crystal with a low Q or degrade the Q with a small series inductance. It is the very small series resonant capacitance together with the parasitic case capacitance that limits the pull range. Crystals for VXCO’s are therefore usually packed in a glass envelope, ± 100ppm is a more realistic pull range. But ±100ppm is sufficient, the clock of the SPDIF signal coming out of the transport is usually no more than 10 ppm off.

For some inspiration read the work of Guido Tent, he already did build a VXCO based PLL clock circuit for a DAC:

http://members.chello.nl/~m.heijligers/DAChtml/dactop.htm

Pjotr said:

Hi Jocko and others,

A pull range of 500ppm is not feasible, unless you have a very cheap crystal with a low Q or degrade the Q with a small series inductance. It is the very small series resonant capacitance together with the parasitic case capacitance that limits the pull range. Crystals for VXCO’s are therefore usually packed in a glass envelope, ± 100ppm is a more realistic pull range. But ±100ppm is sufficient, the clock of the SPDIF signal coming out of the transport is usually no more than 10 ppm off.

For some inspiration read the work of Guido Tent, he already did build a VXCO based PLL clock circuit for a DAC:

http://members.chello.nl/~m.heijligers/DAChtml/dactop.htm

Hello Pjotr, others

Thanks for refering to our design. And yes, you are right, a pull range of +/- 100 ppm is sufficient, assumed the redbook is followed. We measured nearly always 2.3 - 2.7V at the control pin of the VCXO within the DAC (wehere 0,5 to 4,5 was possible)

For those interested, I have designed a module that contains a phase comperator, a slow (1 Hz) PLL and a neat, low jitter VCXO.

Jittery clock in, clean clock out !

This module can be used to upgrade external DACs

all the best

Jocko Homo said:

Jocko
----------------------------------------

Absolutely, if it is universal (in and out formats) and lo jitter. Inside a player is best but I know of no DIY system that has both (player and receiving end of DAC). This will be excellent.

There are expensive players (TEAC and Krell) that have lousy digital outputs.

transducer said:

How about like the Assemblage D2D, as a stand alone unit? Although I'm uncertain that I need one. I'm using a Sonic Frontiers SFT1 transport, which is supposed to have extremely low jitter. It was designed by UltraAnalog for SF. The d/a is an Assemblage Dac2 ( I know your opinion of SF digital gear Jocko

RonS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
D2D is too expensive and best on I2S connection. It is mno longer available. Come to think of it , an I2S13W unit for the receiving end of a DAC would be excellent

Ooops.......

I meant 50 ppm, my brain was stuck on a figure around 500 Hz for an 11 MHz crystal.

As for Krell having lousy digital outputs.......yeah, I would believe that.

Guido:

Do you have a feel for how close the average CDP is with respect to initial frequency accuracy? Just curious.

Jocko

Re: A Crystal TB Is Typically Pretty Close Long Term Wise.

mrfeedback said:

Pretty damm good I expect - the manufacturer figures for run of the mill gear says near to perfect.
Jitter figures of course are a whole different thing.

Eric.

Hi

Jocko asked about CDP crystal acuracy, and Eric answered above.

My experience: I never saw one out of spec. The worst I sam was about +60 ppm, whereas +/- 100ppm is the redbook spec

best regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.