Digital Ammeter Not Reading Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got my led lighting, usb charger and tpa3116 amplifier in a curcuit with all the negatives tied to one and going through a digital Ammeter. It picks up both the usb charger and the leds but not the amplifiers current.
What could be the problem?
See diagram attached

Attachments

• a2ea0d39-30e2-4d46-877e-8acf851069a2.png
    a2ea0d39-30e2-4d46-877e-8acf851069a2.png
    226.6 KB · Views: 110
If you want to know the current through the amp, the ammeter should be in series with the amp alone. If your trying to measure the current draw of all three keep in mind the current requirements of the amp is probably much greater than the other two, and may not be getting enough current to "start up" if you have the ammeter set to a low current range. Try the amp alone with the ammeter set on the highest current range. If that works, add the other two devices and keep the meter on the range that worked with the amp.

Mike

Nothing at all? Are you sure the meter works correctly? Try testing the meter's 10 amp range with a power supply in series with a power resistor sized to draw an amp or so (10 volts across a 10 ohm/10 watt resistor will cause one amp to flow for example) and see what it reads.

Mike

Sorry picture didn't go through.
I don't have a variable power supply, so I can't do that. It is picking up something,
I think ammeter is picking up the amplifiers quiescent current. Or it might be the ammeters current only 50-100mA I'm not sure

Attachments

• 2ba59048-fbf5-42f9-b087-095befa7efd7.png
    2ba59048-fbf5-42f9-b087-095befa7efd7.png
    75.8 KB · Views: 91
Yeah or I might change the psu for a higher voltage one.
I've made a curcuit that when I unplug the mains power it switches over to the battery then when I have power it switches over to the psu. Do you think If I have a 24v psu and a 12v battery unplugging it all of a sudden things could go wrong. Going from 12v to 24v or visevera

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.