• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Differential Amplfiers - current sources under/over the triodes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can use DN2540 depletion mode MOS to do a very simple self-biased CCS with outstanding performance; these devices weren't easily available when "Valve Amplifiers" was written, but I suspect they'll be included in the next edition.

Here's a figure from my upcoming (whenever they actually get around to publishing it) AX article showing how it's done. R5 sets the current, R6 and R7 are gate-stoppers to prevent oscillation. R5 will probably be 200-750R, R6 and R7 are non-critical, 300R-1k will work, but the resistor body should be as close to the gate pin as possible.

Attachments

• figure 5  high voltage fet cascode current source.jpg
    figure 5 high voltage fet cascode current source.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 729
ErikdeBest said:
Hi Exeric

In my view that is not a current mirror, MJ is only using the same reference string for both MJE350. If you change one of the 16k resistors for lower/higher value you will more/less current in that leg, therefore imbalance. They will not track currents as a current mirror does.

All threads I could find referring to the theme
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111099
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115756&highlight=

I could not find the thread I referred to earlier, but both threads above may help you a lot as well

Erik

I read those posts. It seems there's nothing new under the sun so after reading them I have a much better idea of how to go about it. Thanks to wavebourne also for the help.

audiowize said:
Considering a differential stage in a push-pull amp consisting of two triodes, is there anything problematic about using current sources as plate loads? I realize that there is huge gain by using one current sink under the cathodes, but I'm running out of room for a negative voltage supply, so I figured this is about the best I can get. I plan to implement something close to Pete Millet's generic driver schematic, but have a regulated supply for each stage with a current source on all the plates (250v regulated for the first stage, 350 for the second).

This setup will be driving basically the equivalent of four EL84's in DPP.

TIA,
-Paul

Hello ,
I've done a diff amp with 7N7 driving 2A3 . The loads on the 7N7 have a cascode tail set for slightly over 12mA . The anode loads use a single DN2540 CCS set for 6mA , in parallel with this is a 2.2M resistor . The parallel resistor prevents 'fighting' , it's crude but stable and sounds rather good . There is also the option to drive off the lower impedence 'mu' output from the DN2540 source pin , although I've not tried this yet .

cheers

316a

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Because it is obsolete and supply is now limited.
I had that thought but I figured that parts are usually superseded by new ones that fit into the same role but with better performance.

Well; I would not object if somebody in China flaps wings, so my business benefit from it somehow a little bit... ;)

Well, the only help I can offer is to extol the virtues of your SVCS design. I haven't heard a better SS plate load (yet :D). I'm hoping this weekend to build my first differential amp and I've already built a couple of SVCS to load the driver plates which will be DC coupled to the output tube grids. . . . . . I've been wondering if an SVCS style circuit could also be made to suit the LTP of the output tubes. I think about this because I haven't heard a transistor DC current source I really liked yet - Of course some are easily better than others but something about the sound eventually makes me seek a change. After ten years of trying different circuits and fine tunings I realized the source of the irritation was the current source itself the first time I heard the SVCS.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.