• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Differential Amp CCS Tail SVCS Plate - Noise Issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Alright, I should have done this much sooner but the SVCS has never been a problem in past uses and I made an assumption. Anyway, I took one of the boards out of the circuit and put a load resistor on it and it still did the jump around as it was adjusted, I'm not sure what the fault is, whether it's oscillation or some other control issue but at least it has narrowed down the search.
I like what I hear enough to build a more finished version and I also want to try Wavebourn's suggestion of using a single zener string for both loads so a new board wouldn't be a bad idea anyway.
I also didn't use carbon comps for the gate stiooers and I should get some and see if they do anything.
Looking for any other possibilities I wonder if the over-spec'd for voltage caps are too far over, and perhaps inductance plays some part in things. I'll try using something closer in size to the 16V caps in the schematic and see if that has any bearing on things.

Rod, how does it sound? One of the best little amps I've heard actually. Let's see how it does in a more formal setting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.