Differences between OBs and planars

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Best advice is: go ahead and start out with something proven.
I think I'll take your advice - OBs are so different (and seemingly rather new vs. closed box systems) compared to conventional speakers that experimenting probably isn't the best idea.

My first OB will probably be something small (8" woofer plus a tweeter or a 6.5" full range driver) because my room just cannot handle the larger designs using 10" or larger woofers plus much of the music I like* contains some rather powerful bass and based on what I've discovered about OBs, I will probably end up using a small powered subwoofer to provide the very lowest spectrum of bass frequencies.

Michael - I've having considerable difficulty with your constant disagreements with John. I don't have a problem with disagreements per se but you always end up dismissing his arguments because he has a [declared] commercial interest not by demonstrating he's wrong. I am very interested in what John has to say and he has put his money and efforts where his thinking is.

I'd also wish you'd get away from your self-coined "CMP behaviour" term - I don't understand it and it seems to have been rejected but Earl Geddes, Lynn Olson, John, and many others that are leaders in this field.

[end my first rant ever]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.