Die, SPDIF ! Design of the Ethernet DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah. That's the theory. SRP, 1588, QOS etc... are all supposed to make everything work great w/o any hassles. But none of that can manufacture bandwidth or switch fabric wire speeds if they don't exist when needed. The point I am trying to make is that a lot of people think that AVB has a magic bullet that will insure proper operation all the time and I just can't subscribe to that. And I hear your comments which leads me to believe you are in that camp to some degree as well. Which is understandable. But I still think that you will reap big dividends (in a commercial installation) by making sure that the net is properly provisoned, cannot be oversubscribed and exhibits consistency of forwarding delay. These are requirements of any low latency, real time delivery system, and if met, the other aspects of the protocol (1588 excepted) become redundant. I guess I'm still too much of a luddite (if that can be said about networking technology discussions!) to rely on the protocol, rather than good design practices, to insure robust performance.

Yeah. Kevin Gross is chairing that committee and he is a sharp cookie. Near as I can tell AVB sees X192 as a bit of a threat (standards politics; ugh!) but it looks like they should be able to co-exist nicely with AVB as an operable subset of X192. Lot's to hash out there still but so far I like the idea of X192.

This is good, we pushed the concepts. I think in a home environment, AVB will work fine without special provisioning as long as you're using an AVB-ready switch. I'll let the LiveSound and 300 zone airport commercial guys hash it out.

I hate being so early to this that a NIC isn't ready (aside from some newest Apple products) but this gives me a chance to get ready for it.

No doubt AVB should do fine in the home. But it will never be adopted there unless prices drop dramatically AND the market shows it wants it. Otherwise streaming seems to work fine for most needs. Real time, uncompressed, distribution seems to be a who cares when the consumer world seems very happy with 128K MP3 files played through cheap earbuds or a sound dock of some abysmal sort. The commercial market is the only place AVB is getting any traction or where we see any products; and for good reason. That market can support the costs AND also demands uncompressed. low latency delvery, even if going out as background music at an airport ! Don't hold your breath waiting for consumer AVB products. I don't think it's gonna happen. But I hope I'm wrong.
FYI, Audinate have Windows and a MAC software that can turn your computer into a somewhat higher latency Dante endpoint. But I think it needs a real device somewhere on the net to act as the clock master.

I'm not surprised to see the push into automotive. By far the largest proponent of AVB (they had three full time guys working on AVB committees) has been Harman International. And the Harman automotive division is responsible for half their corporate revenue. All the other Harman brands combined make up the other half. A push into automotive makes sense. What ever happened to MOST as the next big thing in automotive entertainment networking? I guess it died and AVB will give it a shot now. Seems more like a solution in search of problem to me. But if it works the volumes could drive down proces for the rest of us. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.