Diaphragm coating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are solvents/adhesives for PVDF. However, properties are scary (being on par with formic or carbolic acid for nylon based coatings) and materials should not be used in uncontrolled environment. Due to that no recipe. However you may have a look at primers for PP/PE used in car repair.

Alexberg: Thanks for the suggestion. Well over 15 years ago my local garage mended the cap of an oil container in my automobile with "Scheibenkleber" .[Windshield adhesive] The cap is probably made of PE, which is not easy to glue, but the repair has held until today. This "Scheibenkleiber" (I don't know which brand it was) was a two-part PU adhesive, applied without a primer. It might be useful for gluing stator wires, if not PVDF.

Alexberg, thanks for the correction that "Saran" is PVDC. I had read this in wiki, but through reading about PVDF (and lacking much knowledge of chemistry) had lost track of the game plan. Wiki also informs us that what is now sold as "Saran" may be low-density polyethylene (LDPE), which is why I previously put "Saran" in quotation marks. The long term stability of Saran not holding tension was referred to by Baxandall (p. 117 in Borwick, Loudspeaker and Headphone Handbook). However, it is my understanding that the bass panel tension of the ESL 57 was relatively light, only being that given by heat shrinking of the material, or does anyone have more detailed information?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Interesting. I have a pair of Model 3 and also Monitor 3 with the OTLs. I have never heard a crackle out of them and I have driven them to over 110db at 13ft. away for years. If I were to build ESL panels, I would simply copy those with an improved coating if it can be shown it exists.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.