DiAna, a software Distortion Analyzer

I do agree with you, but often OT subjects are highly related to the work in question, VALIDATION.
It's like when you turn over a stone, then realise of all the creepy crawlies wiggling around underneath it there were species which you never realised existed... "the Johari window".

Then when you get a major manufacturer asking you to check for something which on this very thread can be shown to be the wrong place to look, then your own test show up a completely different area for verification.
Something of the "known knowns, unknown unknowns, and the known unknowns" springs to mind.

Well thank goodness there are OT items.
They are often the most valuable contributions.

Last edited:
@voltwide No Diana do not work under linux, unfortunately. I would love it to do.
Like Arta whice works very nice under linux/wine.

@Edmond Stuart I try your ver. 1.58.10 under XP/WIN7/Win10 and it is not stable.
Best is Win XP but under 7/10 it want to run as super user and then keeps crashing. I use a EMU 0202 and a EMU "Tracker".
On WinXP I can run up to 96Khz but 192KHz gives me some "noise" on the signal and fail in analyze.
When I try to do a calibration and change level out it crashes and give me a windows "Fail" menu !?.
I do have some successful analyze thought(loop back), and I really like this program as a tool in my audiolab

@Edmond Stuart I try your ver. 1.58.10 under XP/WIN7/Win10 and it is not stable.
Best is Win XP but under 7/10 it want to run as super user and then keeps crashing. I use a EMU 0202 and a EMU "Tracker".
On WinXP I can run up to 96Khz but 192KHz gives me some "noise" on the signal and fail in analyze.

SUPER Hint.
I use win2K3. (2003 server)
This became my OS of choice, & the updates continued to much later than XP.

Windows 2003 server was OS NTv5.2 instead of v5.1, that is to say XP without the bugs!
It's the only MS OS I know which can regularly run a month with reboot, inc daily suspend functions on notebooks.
It also has an extremely low memory footprint and good support for hardware, once you know how to tweak it.
We have umpteen perfectly good programs broken by MS anarchic "upgrades" from XP>Vista>Win7>Win8>Win10, the latest casualty of course now being Skype, which died a year ago,

Last edited:
When I try to do a calibration and change level out it crashes and give me a windows "Fail" menu !?.
I do have some successful analyze thought(loop back), and I really like this program as a tool in my audiolab
I'm sorry to hear this. Do you think it has something to do with "UAC compliant" (see post #844) ? What about the previous versions, do they also crash?

Cheers, E.

I'm only linux man but for some software leap/praxis(Diana) I have to run Windows so I setup tree machines. @ 6vheater So what you are sayning is I should use Windows 2003 server and stick with that ?
I also hate (strong word) all this, Windows want you to update your system(and buy a new computer :eek:) etc. it keeps breaking things. Lot of waiting time.
That's all gone in Linux(Archlinux) is it just plain software and knowhow.

I'm only linux man but for some software leap/praxis(Diana) I have to run Windows ...So what you are sayning is I should use Windows 2003 server?...

Windows want you to update your system..
Lot of waiting time.
That's all gone in Linux(Archlinux) is it just plain software and knowhow.

Well I have to sympathise, it's frankly getting ridiculous.
I watched the train wreck as MS forced an upgrade to Vista, telling people what they will have, rather than what they want... Archi-bloat.

MS have a habit of doing that...
XP was a total load of :mad: S... when it first came out, things crashed on .dll calls, their .net framework was just that...another load of unstable crap...By the time they had fixed most of the biggest bugs along came all the viruses, and all the other real nasties..by which time people like the health services were all running it....

Server 2003 didn't have any of that, but it's a total headache to upgrade from the basic vanilla set-up, and takes about a day of all kinds of nonsense to make work as it should...sp2 and on and on..then along comes Mozilla and says, "sorry now it's ESR channel" and you will get no more upgrades to firefox, Skype is killed off and off it all goes yet again.

Having said that, my wife still uses XP, and it's mostly still (sort of) fine, while I use win2k3 for a decade now and it's almost totally reliable. (I think people never imagined to use it on a notebook).

I mean what person wants to upgrade to 64bit windows, when half the useful stuff only runs on 32....?

I have heard win7 (maybe enterprise server version) is the last semi sensible 32bit OS, that you can more or less fix yourself (Ms licking wounds after vista eh?)

Having said all that I have a dual boot system.
Linux i386 flavour is also not all peace, love and joy.
I use it mainly for watching smooth TV video, on fibre, for the simple reason without some expert help, the current implementation of loading firmware sound card drivers is a a load of junk, the 3g/4g mobile USB sticks don't work, and piles more annoyances.
It's a hobbled system, so why should I bother?

I thought it was bad before (I have an old alphalinux 64bit debian 5.0 box which runs fine) but a disaster area for sound cards, plus giant memory leaks on gigabit ethernet, not much soft works on it, just fun as a storage server, but,-
current ubuntu 32bit as far as I am concerned is utter tosh, and when it throws a spanner, it takes the whole kernel out too.

When are we actually going to get something we can actually rely on?
Pyramix runs on Win10, with at least 5Gb RAM, wave-warp if I remember doesn't & I don't know if matlab does, and/or some other useful stuff from Angelo F...

Last edited:
Edmond,
I have download the 1.58.9 Diana version to try it with the RTX6001 Analyzer.

First, I tried with asio4all driver a loop-back measurement @48KHz.
Using a DAC and ADC for synchronization: THD = 119.4dB.
Using the "bypass" method of synchronization: THD = -129.4dB.

The asio4all couldn't to measure at 192KHz for some kind of reason, so I tried to set the RTXAsio driver but always I had the same error (see attachment).
I closed the RTX usb utility from the tray but with no lucky.

How can I use the rtxasio on Diana (Win'10)?

Attachments

• RTXasio_problem.png
    RTXasio_problem.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 189
  • asio3all_48KHz_internal.png
    asio3all_48KHz_internal.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 191
Well my Win7 install keeps wanting to upgrade, how do one turn that of ?
I could live with only Win7 special if Diana/EMU works on that.
But @Edmond Stuart you Diana start up on wine/Linux but I can not see soundcard ASIO/Alsa so maybe it could work under linux like Arta. Maybe @phofman could help he is deep into alsa on linux?

ps found a Win server 2003 BUT is "feels" like a longer run :-]

Seems like its mostly past as an item. but I'm just getting back to the computer.

The answer is yes, you can get cathode contamination, if you go too far.

For me the biggest use I had of this adjustment was when I was a broadcast engineer (for 30+ years). Adjusting the final tube filament to just above the point of power drop off would increase the tube life by a considerable quantity (depended on which transmitter), as these tubes run $5000 to $10000, you can see the advantage.

Over time the filament would be adjusted upwards toward bogey value, and of course the last month would be above bogey for the really cheap clients.

By watching the power transfer curve you can stay above the point were cathode contamination can be a problem. Much easier to do on a transmitter running class C than a home stereo amp.

Cheers
Alan

ps most of these transmitters have been replaced with solid state now, lower running cost, longer MTBF.

Control Panel -> Windows Update -> Change Settings -> Never check for updates.

You can also go into Control Panel -> Administrative tools -> Services then set the Background Intelligent Transfer and Windows Update services to Manual.

Thanks, I will do that asap.
Anyway, @Edmond Stuart I installed Win7 32bit ver. instead of server 2003 and it look like it is more stable(Diana), have not had any crashes yet.
So to measure a DUT I have to do:
1: Make a loopback distortion measure A+B Channal
2: Save it as "Distortion save as" with name etc.
3: Put "Options" into "Differential" mode
4: Measure DUT with (Hot) channel could be "B"
And the result THD is correct ? whice in this case gave me THD -56Db and if I measure on my VP-7721A I get -56,8Db !!! :cheers:
I love it :) So I'm looking forward for your pro-vertion

But but I still get crashes on Win7 64bit and Win10 64bit

Hi Manolis,

Firstly, try V1.58.10. But I also had sometimes troubles with the RTX, depending on the switch-on sequence: First PC on and then RTX on, or just the opposite way.

Cheers, E.
PS: No issues when running in "normal" mode, i.e. without by-pass?

I tried the V1.58.10 and I followed your directions but with no lucky, the same message all the time.
Any ideas for the next?

The asio4all works well until 176.4KHz, at 192KHz there are artifacts on spectrum area and the results are very low!

I tried the V1.58.10 and I followed your directions but with no lucky, the same message all the time.
Any ideas for the next?
The asio4all works well until 176.4KHz, at 192KHz there are artifacts on spectrum area and the results are very low!
Hi Manolis,

Apparently. the communication with the USB port is blocked for some reason*. However, you can circumvent this message by disabling the USB port altogether (as far as the settings of the RTX are concerned). Just remove the check mark at "Autocalibration" in the "Sound Card" menu (only accessible when the RTX has first been selected). Now you can set the calibration factors manually, but should be, of course, in accordance with the gain settings on the RTX.
BTW, what OS are you using and how fast is your PC?

Cheers, E.

* It also might be possible that DiAna couldn't find the USB port of the RTX. If that is the case, a more appropriate error message should have been appeared, of course. This will be fixed in the next version of DiAna.