• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

DHT drivers - shootout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

The input tube is 10Y,

10Y at 10mA - Big sound with copious bass. Warm sound. Smooth with good treble. Strings mellow, Vocals round.

Sounds to me like the result of applying the principle of the lesser spotted repeater...

Try the 10Y as Driver but with a 26 as Input, this may be more balanced.

71A at 16mA - How to describe this! Pretty psychodelic.

All I know is Ciro Marzio was quite hot on the 71A Driver with 300B. And Ciro always had an excellent pair of ears. So keep at it using the 71A would be my take.

Ciao T

Well hello, Mr T!!

Strangely I should see this post as I am building a 300b SET with 26 input and 10Y driver. Coming along nicely. O-Netics OPT and LL1635/5mA and LL1660/18mA interstages.

Spookily enough my current 300bSET - VT-67 into 31 driver - actually drives my Apogee ribbons at low but listenable volumes. That has the 300b at 50mA. So if I crank that up to 75mA should be even better.

Andy

It is built

Well with some modifications from the original specs, it's built and works like nothing else!

I modifyed it because I could not include another DHT filament supply.
So U used a 6N6Pi driving (via a cap) a 300B then a Tamura STU-5k driving the GM70 coupled to a Audionote TR310 C.

I can post the full schematics and photos, you want.

It is incredibly powerfull sounding (authoritarian ?), but still very transparent and detailed.
Unlike many other SE's the bass is very detailed and powerfull. So much that I'm using a pair of Reference 3A Suprema, and just disconnected the subs.

For the topic ;), the 300B is the best driver tube I ever used:p.

I'm building a 10Y - interstage - 300B - interstage - GM70 amp.
10Y will be at 250V 18mA
300B at 400V 60mA
GM70 1150V 110mA

For the output I'm using Audionote TR310 C,
for the interstages I'm using Lundahl 1660/18 and 1677/60
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That all looks pretty perfect. Go for it! You should get quite a big, warm lush sound. If you wanted to cool it down a bit you could substitute 46 or 2a3 for the 300b.

I haven't got underway with the 26>10Y>300b yet. Still with my 30sp>31>300b version. I'm thinking of changing that so I direct couple the first stages and use an interstage to the 300b. Should sound better than cap coupled. If that's good I'll use it as a template. I may substitute an 01A for the 30sp. The 31 is a handy driver, though. Not as good as 46 or 10Y or 71A but it does the job well nevertheless.

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.