determining inductance based on coil dimensions and number of windings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all...

I have a pair of iron core coils that i can possibly use.

Is it possible to determine their inductance using some sort of formula that takes into account the physical dimensions, wire gauge and number of turns?
It depends on the type of iron-cored inductor: very broadly, they can be classified into two categories, open and closed.

An example of open type is a solenoid with a cylindrical core (or square section, it doesn't matter provided it is some kind of rod).
In this case, use the formula or calculator for air-core, and double the result (because ~half the length of lines of field are shorted by the core).
The result will be very approximate, like +/-30%, depending on various parameters.
Here is an example of online calculator:
Multi-Layer Coil Inductance Calculator

A closed type is a complete magnetic circuit, with an airgap added: for example, E and I laminations, with a calibrated sheet of insulating material in-between.
In this case, you can use the reluctance formula: L=n²µoA/e
n= number of turns, µo vacuum permeability=4π10E-7, A= core cross section and e= gap length, all in SI units.
This formula should be more accurate, like +/-10%, except if you have extreme gap lengths

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.