Detailed plans for 206, 207 or Jordan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thought you might be interested in my late in life project. I have always been interested in full range speaker designs. Had built a pair of Voigt Pipes using a pair of at hand Audax HT210A2 full range drivers which I was well pleased with. However, at the age of 72 and with very little woodworking experience I decided to try a pair Of Hedlund Horns and also decided to make the curved parts with laminated 2mm MDF. This has taken me some 2 years and although all construction work is finished I have yet to apply a suitable cosmetic finish, unfortunately my attempt at finishing the curved faces with a veneer (Cherry) did not work out too well. Not having the necessary funds to purchase a pair of Lowthers I fitted the Audax drivers, really really good sounds right through the range, enough well rounded bass right through to top end, but I needed the Audax drivers for the Pipes so decided to experiment with a pair of Jordan JX92S's! The result is exceptionally good, a marked improvement on the Audax. Will try and attach picture.

Attachments

• hedlund.jpg
    hedlund.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,053
Purposely never altered any parameters as I am still hoping to find a pair of Lowthers, Ever the optimist! However I might be able to borrow a pair of Fostex Sigma drivers to try, that could prove interesting. Have heard that the Pioneer B20FU20-51 FW are of an appropriate standard but have not been able to source them in UK, does anyone have any info regarding them?

Spectrum Audio in Germany has the Pioneer. SPECTRUM AUDIO . Although the site is only in german they speak english and are a pleasure to deal with via email. I've never found a UK source.
They are nice people and import a few interesting things like the Sonic Impact, the Pioneer drivers and some Radio Shack fullrangers.
Only problem I see is that the Pioneer (after the import) is more expensive than a Fostex FE-167E for example.(I believe the Pioneer costs a third of the Fostex in US)
This does not make it really worth to buy it?

Doing my "Lazarus" act rising from the nearly dead thought I should report progress!! Have still not been able to acquire the required Lowthers but have obtained a pair of Audio Nirvana Super 8 and super they are, an immediate improvement on the Jordans and I'm led to believe that they can take a year or more to run in, if I'm granted that much time (80 next week) and the hearing holds up then I look to enjoy the sounds they produce even more.

Thought you might be interested in my late in life project. Not having the necessary funds to purchase a pair of Lowthers I fitted the Audax drivers, really really good sounds right through the range, enough well rounded bass right through to top end, but I needed the Audax drivers for the Pipes so decided to experiment with a pair of Jordan JX92S's! The result is exceptionally good, a marked improvement on the Audax. Will try and attach picture.

Wow!, would it be appropriate to have your own thread to detail the build?

gychang

Man, some of you guys have a way with wood that I very much envy!! Nice job, and no easy task to build those I'm sure..

Those are some man sized cabs!!, hooray for that and screw that stupid WAF rule lol.. Your wife or girlfriend should be worshiped for letting those puppies hang out in the room!!! If she has a like minded sister, please send her my way :) Good Job!!:cool:

Man, some of you guys have a way with wood that I very much envy!! Nice job, and no easy task to build those I'm sure..

Those are some man sized cabs!!, hooray for that and screw that stupid WAF rule lol.. Your wife or girlfriend should be worshiped for letting those puppies hang out in the room!!! If she has a like minded sister, please send her my way :) Good Job!!:cool:
Hi Dave,
An old man's follies really. Needed a project a few years ago so got stuck in. Actually the WAF factor not involved as they are in my bedroom/study, that being the only suitably sized space in the house which I could practically use to assemble the brutes,once assembled there they have had to remain being too big and far too heavy to move downstairs. However that works just fine as I spend more of my time in this room now and it is large enough to do justice to the Hedlunds although I suppose a solid floor would be more of an advantage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.