designspark PCB software free downloads

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thx marce,
Agree using all the IPC documents are great ideas.
But this info is in other places as well. Once you have done a few of them then it comes down to deriving the lands based on the pkg mins & maxs. The footprint is also process dependent as you are probably aware. NXP, TI, Diodes Inc all have good info that I use in footprint gen.
This document is also a great reference.
"The CAD Library of the Future" by Tom Hausherr
I do not care much for designsparks footprint editor, but all these low end ecad pkgs have issues.
At one time we were using Zuken cadstar.

I am trying to get a ltspice sim going that is captured in dspark but having an issue. ltspice can not find the model!

Last edited:
A component design wizard is vital to speedy component creation.
I do not know about speedy, one way or the other you have to type in pin names on a sch symbol, specify pin function types,directions, if you are using any sort of schematic checker. I add all my sourcing info to a sch symbol(comp) as well, so that takes time too.
For footprints, like connectors, I find that it takes the most time to figure out the dimensions from the mechcad drawing and translating them into data that is based on a new reference point (like pin 1 or where you want the origin to be), not the ones they use which are all over the place many times.

For footprints, like connectors, I find that it takes the most time to figure out the dimensions from the mechcad drawing and translating them into data that is based on a new reference point (like pin 1 or where you want the origin to be), not the ones they use which are all over the place many times.

This. I hate having to do this it takes such a lot of time:mad:

I do not know about speedy, one way or the other you have to type in pin names on a sch symbol, specify pin function types,directions, if you are using any sort of schematic checker. I add all my sourcing info to a sch symbol(comp) as well, so that takes time too.

If you are using simple regular footprints then a component wizard is great.
It all falls apart with more irregular components where each pad/pin has to be placed by hand. My CAD software does SIL, DIL, QUAD and circular (valves) components from the component wizard.
Odd shaped connectors I do by hand using (place pad relative to current pad).
Then I use a function for adding a pin to the nearest pad. Saves lots of lining up of pads and pins which by hand is almost impossible if not very time consuming.

Thx marce,

But this info is in other places as well. Once you have done a few of them then it comes down to deriving the lands based on the pkg mins & maxs. The footprint is also process dependent as you are probably aware.

!

I'll let you into a little secret, wave soldering SMD these days is a definite no with todays components. I also always worked on the principle that the end joint I want is the same whether its reflowed or wave soldered, so I have used the same footprints (when I use to wave solder SMD, haven't done since 1992, except the very rare cheepo job), I did occasionally put solder thieving on a footprint. But never liked the idea of sticking my delicate components in a bath of solder! so always preferred other more gentile methods such as selective soldering that I started playing with early 2000.
:)

This. I hate having to do this it takes such a lot of time:mad:

The biggest problem I find is that often the drawings are dimensioned as per standard mechanical drawings whereas for footprints we need the dimensioning to be different, often for pad centroids not the edges of pads.
Younger designers don't seem to do basic mechanical drawing practice so it is becoming even more of a hassle.
I have a complete IPC based library (we sell the library creation tools:p) that covers 90% of what I do... It is mainly connectors that I have to create bespoke footprint for these days.
I also only like ONE SOT23 (SOT95P270-3N) footprint in my library, and the same with other similar components, my biggest irritation is with libraries that have been made over complex, which is often the case.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.