Designs for Vifa TC9FD Full Range Paper

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nope !
Since you talk about ONE woofer, what are you "sending" to it ?
A mono signal ( L+R mixed ) and filtered 12 dB/octave....that works well below 100 Hz ( note: it works well when the F3 points of crossover sums flat).
The point is: stereo
Your logic fails in this, because of the two tracks that run binary.
It would work in a mono speaker,yes, at this point you can ditch one Vifa.
Or, use it as a midrange, one for each speaker, with its own woofer.

It's called multi-way speaker design

I am actually making a 2.1 boombox, something like the Marshall Stanmore which uses a pair of 0.75" tweeters and a single 5.25" woofer crossed over at 2500Hz. The difference being that I am planning two full range drivers with a single woofer. So, is there an issue in crossing at the 400Hz-600Hz mark compared to the 2500Hz mark?

Hi, where do you find those numbers ? I stumbled on the web for 5 minutes but I couldn't find any info other than those "0.75inches tweeters" and 5" woofer.
No mention of any crossover frequency between the two.
Well, if those are really tweeters, the 2500 Hz Fc seems right, as it is the norm in two way systems.
But a 3.5-4" speaker is not a tweeter.
About which frequency to cross, make some experiments and report :rolleyes:

I recently got the Dynaudio D21 / 2 supertweeters in very good condition.
These days I tried them in my FAST (TC9FD + W170S-8) based on this thread:

Adding a super tweeter to a full range

D21/2 is crossed at around 19 kHz (1uF/0,06 mH) and L-pad is slightly modified (3 ohms in series and 12 ohms in parallel) for about 4 dB attenuation.

Sound is very nice, I'm very pleased.
I expect the carpenter to make additional boxes for supertweeters

Only my 2c

Attachments

• TC9FD+D21_2.jpg
    TC9FD+D21_2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 712
Hi, where do you find those numbers ? I stumbled on the web for 5 minutes but I couldn't find any info other than those "0.75inches tweeters" and 5" woofer.
No mention of any crossover frequency between the two.
Well, if those are really tweeters, the 2500 Hz Fc seems right, as it is the norm in two way systems.
But a 3.5-4" speaker is not a tweeter.
About which frequency to cross, make some experiments and report :rolleyes:

Hi, Check the link below for the Marshall Stanmore speaker manual (page 20). Its not a 2 way design but a 2.1 design.

https://www.marshallheadphones.com/...user/Stanmore_Bluetooth_User_Manual_v1_en.pdf

BTW... Whats with the rolling eyes?

I thought this was a forum where people come and learn. Not everyone who comes here may be a genius like you. So, stop being condescending and don't answer any queries if its below your dignity.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't mean to...:rolleyes::D
Ok there are two tweeters and the crossing freq is right, so ?
The Vifa is not a tweeter
PLUS
All that BT 2.1 or 2.0 speakers incorporate digital amplifiers that incorporate filters & EQ to tailor the sound, most are proprietary and unless you are that skilled...

Peace....

I understand that the Vifa is not a tweeter and thats the reason for the lower 400Hz-600Hz crossover point instead of the 2500Hz point.

The 2.1 amplifier is being tailor made to my specifications and thats the reason I am asking these questions.

The main reason for fixing the crossover point between 400Hz-600Hz is to avoid a BSC filter and not push the drivers outside their comfort zones. I would have control over the volume of the FR's and the Woofer (with trimpots). But, I will have them fixed after listening tests. Don't want the headache of constantly going to the speaker and adjusting. I prefer to have control with the source device.

I recently built a 2.1 boombox based on a 2.1 TPA3118D2 plate amp with two Dayton RS100-8's and a Tang Band W6-1139SIF subwoofer. The variable crossover on the amp is from 30Hz-150Hz and separate volume controls for the sub and the satellites. I would be constantly fiddling with the controls to get the best sound and wanted to avoid that.

The plan is to make a 2.1 boombox with a custom made 2.1 TPA3116D2 amp using the TC9FD's and the DC160-4. Since I had control over the amp build, I wanted to improvise to suit my needs and make it less fiddly.

Well, the frequency doesn't tell the story as you have a specific slope and that depends on the electrical side ( active low/high pass ) and the acoustic one, as a speaker has a natural bandpass behaviour. Moreover, the baffle on which it's mounted ( if any ) determines the quantity of sound that is radiated forward
(BSC can indeed be explained by the waves that travel in space and the directivity that rises with frequency ).
So 400-500 Hz Fc might be ok when shallow slopes are used...I mean very shallow:)

Revival of an interesting thread.

I have built the 0.4X scale Karlsonators with these drivers, and they sound amazing for their size. Dirt cheap and fast to build. Details of the mini Karlsonators here:
Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's

My planning is OB project

9 x Vifa TC9FD in 3 line
2 x Alpha 15A

This should be interesting evikins - with 9 x TC9FD drivers? Will be a huge speaker I guess.

I also want to venture into OB territory and have found the perfect project to start with, using the TC9FD's - the Manzanita project. If anyone is interested in OB with these drivers, check this out:
Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.