Designing an MTM for Home Theater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The thread and question is about MTM designs. I apologize if I shared more than I intended regarding my choices or my room. I wasn't really after a treatise on how to design MTM or fix my room or why I've chosen to replace the sats. The reason I'm replacing them is twofold and simple, I don't like them and I want to build my own. I don't like the metal dome tweeter and they have a ported sound, which I don't like. I made a mistake in purchasing them because I didn't do my homework. I'm trying to prevent the same mistake again. I haven't worked on the room because I've been changing furniture and rearranging things. Some of the issues become apparent as I move furniture around, others are a little more tricky.

This is a valid reason to want to build your own speakers, and probably what should have stated in the first place. You just don't like the sound of the speakers.

Yes it occurred to me. That's why I've listened to more than one speaker in the same room. The harshness isn't in the reflections, it's coming directly from the tweeter and it follows the tweeter. I do know the difference between reflected harshness and sibilance. Granted the room has a large effect on how a speaker will sound but in this case it's definitely the tweeter. I did not say it was a "bad" tweeter or that it will sound that way elsewhere or with different equipment but on my Yamaha surround processor in my small room it sounds harsh and annoying. It's bad enough that a simple mp3 recording with a computer mic would pick it up.

I am going to say this.....I have owned several Yamaha receivers, and all of them were pretty bright sounding to my ears. So it could be very well be the processor rather than the speakers.

I have no illusions that a new pair of speakers will fix the problems I'm having. I have done almost nothing to correct room acoustics. Did it occur to you that I know nothing about correcting a room?

Yes it did occur to me, which is why I think you are throwing the baby, the bath water, and the bathtub out as well. You would be well served learning about how to treat a room along with how to build the speaker you desire. Before I decide the equipment is at fault for not giving me the sound qualities I desire, I make sure the room is not the issue first. You find the problem first, then take a course of action on how to treat it.

You've come off like I deliberately misled you or that my inexperience is somehow wrong. You focused on the room and how wrong I am without asking a few basic questions like "What have you tried?" or "Do you have any measuring equipment?", or even easier, "Why do you think the speakers are the problem?". You've made this personal and I don't understand why.

Actually, you have made this personal. Your responses are defensive, and that is pretty clear. My focus on the room is because the problems you describe are more typical of a room issue, rather than a speaker issue. You have not said that you remove the room as the source of the problem, and the problems that mentioned can be room related.

That is the most immature thing I've heard here yet. Sounds like you stopped by to try to boost your ego by telling me I'm wrong.

Your attempts to deflect here are not working very well. My ego has nothing to do with anything here, your bad conclusion regarding your room/speaker interaction is at center focus. Since you have already admitted that you know nothing about room acoustics, or how to treat room related problems, I am going to chalk this deflection up to ignorance. Ignorant people get defensive pretty quickly when they do not understand the things they try to talk about.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.