designing a sub and fullrange box for several speakers...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mulletdude said:
i dont want pre-amp outs i just want to use the amplifier to directly drive 4 subs by crossing over the input so it essentially becomes a 5 output sub amplifier.

I understand what you are describing. This can be done a couple of ways. Active crossover like you are describing or PLLXO or passive line level cross over which is just like a passive crossover only on the input side of the amp instead of on the speaker leads. You have to know the input impedence of your amp/reciever and calculate accordingly. Go with the active xo your buddy has as it is easier to adjust and control on the fly.

Are these sub woofers or just woofers? Subs need to be crossed around 80hz. Woofers can be used this way and should be crossed around the same unless they are closer to the rest of the system.

mulletdude said:
i do have about 8 MOSFETS from an old stereo i took apart ... the amplifier is still in one... or rather 2 pieces because there was one amp per channel but i dont know the wiring to make them work so i would have to build my own amplifier. or i do have a car audio amplifier thats 500 watts bridged mono into 4 ohms but i have no way of getting enough amperage at 12 volts to drive it very long

A 12 v power suppley that does 50 amps may cost $100 US used .
I wish I could build a amp , I see those DIY amps on ebay , some claim to have a power suppley , all you need is a heat sinc and a transformer that will do + and - voltage .
But I figure I would end up spending $100+ for a 2x250 watt amp
And you could buy a used prosound amp for that much on ebay.

mulletdude said:
now that we are talking about deals do you think that $125 for both these JBL drivers was a good deal?

No, I wouldn't say that is amazing. Can you sell these back to the person you bought them from? Tell'em they won't work for what you are building and don't just buy everything you find. A well designed system with specific parts considered in the design will sound the best and cost you less in the long run.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
What budget priced amps are of high enough quality you would recommend considering? I love Craigslist and eBay but don't always recognize a deal when I see one.

I'm no expert and been stung a couple of times myself, but if we are talking power amps then anything by NAD, Yamaha or Rotel are usually reliable, fingers crossed that is>

MulletDude, how many 5.1 amps do you have there??
If you have 2 and want to use one of them as a sub amp and it has a stereo line in, then split the sub-out ( the 0.1 ) from amp A, run it to the stereo inputs on amp B and it should just amplify the input signal; just remember to set it to LARGE or it may just automatically cut everything below 100Hz

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Then i think you have to rethink the whole business.

If you have a 5.1 then you use that for you FCR + RR/RL.

Run the .1 output thru a "Y" cable to the stereo amp ( if it isn't a power amp doesn't matter as long as the input is set properly) This is what I do, when I add more sub-woofers I add another splitter
(Y cable) and another stereo amp.

I like my movies loud BUT I am already deaf, too loud is dangerous; long term and short term

mulletdude said:
all of about 5 dollars... i have a plate amp from a 150 watt 10 inch powerd HT sub that i could use temporarily for one jbl sub... [/QUOTE
I would build a big PORTED box for 1 (the better of the 2) jbl's that are coming , and drive it with your amp taken from that 150 watt 10 inch you got .
Build the cabinet yourself .
$5 wont build much hopefully you can scrounge up some wood and have some tools .
But it can be done ( I have done it for zero$$)
Oh you can also sell the other jbl 15" should be worth $50-75
I would try a music store that sells consignments .

mulletdude said:
well the specs say from 3 to 10 cubic feet so i might build it as big as i can...

Take a look at WINISD (its a free program) that may have that speaker on it list .
He ran it through WINISD that free program tells you exactlly what size to build and how much power it will take , on that program if you change the size it will show you what port size to use and how much power it takes to get that speaker to move all the way .
LMK if its not on the lit .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.