Designing a cabinet for Mark Audio Alpair 7.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice looking design. I will echo the sentiments of those before and say CNC would be an awful waste. What I call "Bendy plywood" would work a treat, otherwise, if you are a glutton for punishment you would cut kerfs in regular sheet plywood to achieve the bending properties / curve required. Its not difficult but is time consuming. The tops are easy enough to shape.
The only other concern would be calculating / measuring the volume of enclosure and even that would not be too much trouble getting an estimate of.

I did something around two years ago, a stand mount two way speaker, roughly the shape of an elongated guitar body and used kerfing.

Been researching materials and came across an interesting product.

1mm solid wood backing
7 layer ply (10mm)
4mm solid wood 'veneer'

They are engineered solid wood floor boards. I plan on glueing them together onto an 3mm mdf backing to ensure they lie flat an them power sand the finish off.

I was looking at them for building a pair of the Pensils, but have decided to do a test mockup using the Alpair 7.3 and one of Planet 10's small bass reflex cabinets.

As they were surplus to the flooring shop and a little scuffy I got them for £10 a board. Two should be enough to make a pair.

I also plan on putting round lippings on the corners......a sketch up picture to follow.

Images below:

Attachments

• Photo-11-04-2012-12-18-53.jpg
    Photo-11-04-2012-12-18-53.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 909
  • Photo-11-04-2012-12-18-27.jpg
    Photo-11-04-2012-12-18-27.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 890
  • Photo-11-04-2012-12-18-34.jpg
    Photo-11-04-2012-12-18-34.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 883
Having finished the above cabinet, its time to start thinking about the next.

Has anyone seem an Alpair in a cabinet like this.

511bw.2.jpg

It would be a challenging project....

Have the 7.3 sat in a turned coopered bowl, on top of 2xlarge subs, Peerles XLS 10" for example. With a curved plywood skin, similar to the B&W 800.

Thoughts?

Anyone have any recommendations for a woofer/sub to use in a FAST configuration.

Alpair 7.3 in a turned B&W like sealed enclosure. And the woofer in a big curbed cabinet.

A larger 8"/10"/12" woofer to handle the lower bass.

Any great drivers spring to mind, available to purchase in the UK.

Have my eye on the Peerless XLS 10 (£70ea)

hey nice work! I like where this is going. Ever thought about making an RP of the cabinet shape and taking a mould off it? Carbonology in the UK do a simple kit for this, then u cd produce a beautiful carbon fibre enclosure for the Alpair.

The peerless is available @ Falcon and Europe Audio I think - but what is the power handling on these? The travel doesnt look more than the Hivi M8N's.

Here is the link to the eBay seller

2X Peerless XLS10 Subwoofer P830452 Loudspeaker Speaker | eBay

and the specs

Specifications

Nominal Impedance (Ohms)
Zd
Min Impedance
Zmin
DC Resistance (Ohms)
Re
Voice Coil Inductance (mH)
Le
Resonant Frequency (Hz)
Fs
Mechanical Q Factor
Qms
Electrical Q Factor
Qes
Total Q
Qts
Moving Mass (g)
Mms

Suspension Compliance (mm/N)
Cms
390um/M
Effective Cone Diameter (cm)
D
Effective Piston are (cm2)
Sd
Equivalent Volume (Ltrs)
Vas
Force Factor
Bl
Reference Voltage Sensitivity
dB
Weight of Magnet (kg)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.