Design me a crossover and I'll build it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Will be ordering soon. What effect does an 8.0 mH 0.54R inductor (Erse 18AWG steel core on PE) have on the crossover if replacing the 8.2 mH 1.2R inductor?

When I designed the xover that was actually the part I was originally designing for. Solen's lack of an 18ga iron core is the only reason a different part was looked at. Using the Erse inductor will give a .5db rise to the woofers level, with no negative effects.

Pics of box attached.

Of the 8 pieces in the box, only 4 are unique and there are only 3 unique sizes.

Inner volume for each woofer is 12"x7"x9" and the ports are 1.61"x6" (6.5" effective with the back baffle adding 1/2"). The pipes are 1.5" PVC. Outer dimensions of box are 8"x24"x13" HWD.

Crossover is likely going to go on the backside.

Attachments

• cc box top.SLDASM.pdf
    87.4 KB · Views: 51
  • cc box iso.SLDASM.pdf
    107.8 KB · Views: 46
Pics of box attached.

Of the 8 pieces in the box, only 4 are unique and there are only 3 unique sizes.

Inner volume for each woofer is 12"x7"x9" and the ports are 1.61"x6" (6.5" effective with the back baffle adding 1/2"). The pipes are 1.5" PVC. Outer dimensions of box are 8"x24"x13" HWD.

Crossover is likely going to go on the backside.
Gosh darn it, I want to keep the crossover inside but the easiest way to do that is to take out the internal chambers.

It won't be a big deal if the volume is shared between the drivers, right? At the volumes this will be playing at, and the source material, the woofers shouldn't be modulating the mid.

Yes, that would work. I thought of another option as well (slightly more expensive). For each wire:

1) Drill a hole to suit a small bolt or machine screw (M3 or #6-32)
2) Fit the screw through the hole
3A) Spade or ring terminals can be fitted and tightened with a nut opposite the head, OR
3B) Use a copper or brass screw and solder the wire directly to the screw.

This could be made very air-tight, especially if the right washers are used.

Last edited:
Acoustic slopes are: Woofer 2nd order LR, The mid HP is also 2nd order LR. The mid LP is 4th order LR, and the tweeter's also 4th order LR. Crossover points are 470 hz and 3700 hz. The Fountek is going to be the shining star, covering everything important.

You can try sealed, but I wouldnt advise it. There will be an impedance peak from the woofers right where the inductor is also causing a peak, which might lead to a boomy sound. You would only need 2" clearance behind the speaker for the 2" port to function properly. You could also drop down to four 1" x 7" ports for each woofer, then you would only need 1" clearance behind the speaker.
Based on what WinISD Pro is telling me, the way I have it designed now I will have impedance peaks at 20 Hz and 82.7 Hz. Is this OK?

I use winISD to figure out what is reasonable or desired. Then I look at what box dimensions get me the volume required and proper driver placement (you already had the baffle, so all I could play with is depth). After that everything goes through Response Modeler which combines the baffle effects, and bass alignment. That is the point where infinite baffle measurements are modified to a specific speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.