Design a Bose-beater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have never tried just one of these woofers in a box, but I bet it would sound great!

MCM Audio Select 5'' Aluminum Cone Woofer | 55-1870 (551870) | MCM Audio Select

I have used them in a system that has 4 of them wired together in series parallel as a woofer and 1 of them as a mid and it's awesome!

Have you thought about making a sub-woofer that is also a coffee table or something like that?

James. :)

If that were my wife I would purchase her PSB Imagine Mini and the best thing is that I can live with it too. Add later a sub and you are ready to rock... ;)

Girls find those mini's cute...

Too bad that's an icky DQ25....

FWIW- I've done a few tiny DIY's...

Aura NS3 in a 4" internal cube with a 500uF cap, sealed, and stuffed; "PC (Perfectly Compact)"
-Bass to ~65Hz with a Passive Assist design.
http://s18.beta.photobucket.com/use...ibrary/?&_suid=135200117946804511677600024091

"Xenums" Uber-mini with a W3-315E and XT25SC90:
-Bass to ~114 Hz.
http://s18.beta.photobucket.com/use...ibrary/?&_suid=135200123687509044673908805855

"Triumph/Biumph" 9" sub.
-Bass to 40 Hz.
http://s18.beta.photobucket.com/use...ibrary/?&_suid=135200128668706654292765850133

Let me know if you have any questions,
Wolf

Last edited:
Aura NS3 in a 4" internal cube with a 500uF cap, sealed, and stuffed; "PC (Perfectly Compact)"
-Bass to ~65Hz with a Passive Assist design.

Wolf

The "3" in Aura NS3 stands for 3" diameter, is that correct? If so, in his article about configuring the Hi-Vi B3S in a closed-box system, Zaph claimed that any 3" driver has bad harmonic distortion for frequency < 100 Hz. Would you agree?

What type of passive Assist did you use?

Regards,
Pete

Would you agree?

What type of passive Assist did you use?

I'm not going to really delve into the arguments and sentiments of zaph on this. Suffice it to say, that the Aura is a low HD driver due to design, and in a small sealed box that is stuffed, the box provides the air-spring, and that it sounds decent from these in this situation. Many of these have been built over on the PETT forum, just go take a look.

I will also say I've used the TB W3-1876S 3" subwoofer- and treated nicely it provides a very clean output in the lower registers; but it is a 3" after all, not a 10" driver.

Passive Assist is known as a capacitor in series with the driver. 7<Qms<10 is ideal range, and higher Xmax is also preferred. The Aura fits these criteria.
1 ltr yields a Qtc of 1.1, and this in combination with the 3rd order rolloff of the driver and the Fs being well-placed, you have a shelved bass response.

It does work, and quite well!
Wolf

Here are mine that that i built a little while ago for our living room tv. Its some what based off of zaph's slimline wall speaker.

Zaph|Audio

2011-10-0220931.jpg

Bose-No Highs No lows!

In my long career in consumer electronics I worked for leading audio products company in the Chicago area. In the engineering department a sign was posted above the workbenches. "Bose-No Highs-No Lows". Bose systems rely on their proprietary equalization processors. If you connect a set of Bose speakers to an ordinary receiver or other amp, they sound as the sign stated. That, plus lack of any audio sophistication on the part of the consuming public, along with a heavy marketing program is why they sell so many of them. Today we have an entire generation that gets most of their audio through ear buds so when they hear a Bose system they think it is state of the art. Has anyone ever seen a set of published frequency response charts from Bose? No, and you never will.

There are privately produced FR results.

Of course Bose wouldn't publish their own. They rely on the research that has shown that people prefer certain frequencies over others and tailor their sound to it. Nothing wrong with developing a people pleaser is there?

My beef with them is not related to the tailoring, far from it. I think that is the one thing they should get credit for. No sir, my beef has to do with the parts and production quality. Anyone who has worked on or even just disassembled a Bose product knows what I mean. I think it's near criminal to represent it as a quality product.

You have seen this no doubt?

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

There are privately produced FR results.

Of course Bose wouldn't publish their own. They rely on the research that has shown that people prefer certain frequencies over others and tailor their sound to it. Nothing wrong with developing a people pleaser is there?

My beef with them is not related to the tailoring, far from it. I think that is the one thing they should get credit for. No sir, my beef has to do with the parts and production quality. Anyone who has worked on or even just disassembled a Bose product knows what I mean. I think it's near criminal to represent it as a quality product.

You have seen this no doubt?

intellexual net · m k i v

Unfortunately there's no audio substitute for marketing hype and consumer ignorance :(

What thoroughly amazes me is they often think they have the ant pants of audio gear.

Some people like small speakers.
I have not seen any one build something as small as a Bose lifestyle system.
Although I have seen a lot of 3" drivers put into enclosures the size of refrigerators, you know who you are :tongue:
But I have given up on small speakers personally :D
As they say in the greatest country in the world, bigger is better! :rofl:
I don't know why I can't write that without rolling on the floor laughing :innocent:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.