Descrete jFET versus IC op-amp quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bear:

Come over and I'll show you the noise is in the IRAA preamp. Trust me! :)

As far as the rest of my gear, I am primarily interested in the RIAA preamp. The other gear I know is better than average, but limited. I do not mind it. I have a pair of electrostatic headphones, but one ear is damaged.

Dan

That reminds me, I can tell way more about the signal chain with headphones than speakers, even though I have a pretty good actively crossed 3-way setup. I do all my comparisons with 'phones. OTOH, I wonder if I might reach different conclusions using the speakers?

I'm not noise obsessed, but IMO having noise levels that approach LP background levels is too much. With 'phones, I don't want to be able to hear anything until the needle hits the record. If I can detect a hiss, it's way too much, or there's a snake in the room. After all, if I can detect it, somebody who can actually hear would find it quite annoying!

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I do not claim that one type of circuit will NOT sound different to another. Differences exist and I believe this is a point we all agree upon (well, most of us). The issue tends to come about when we say 'x sounds terrible because it does not use y'.

Well, I only want to talk about high performance (sonic and/or measured) equipment. And here the differences between well engineered equipment are not 'x sounds absolutely terrible' but maybe 'x sounds different'. Shades of grey. Nuancing.

Pick the sound that you like. So, some like tubes, some like JFETS and some like op-amps. On good systems, I doubt any of these technologies sounds crap - only different.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I was listening to some music this week end and was struck once again at the differences in recording quality between discs. I have Dave Brubeck's 'Time Out' CD - absolutely wonderful recording from the early 60s - remarkably quiet and spacious for something done with tubes and a tape (I especially like 'Pick up Sticks' on this CD). Then I have a Genesis recording (Selling England by the Pound) from the early 70's. Clearly some serious issues (slew rate?) because the cymbals and high frequencies sound terrible - and I mean terrible. I postulate this was done on an early SS mixer with 741's (something DS mentioned in one of his books). Then there's a great Yo-yo Ma recording (Songs of Joy and Peace) done with the latest digital equipment that is pristine, and nearly flawless with a real 3D sound stage and smooth as silk top end.

I seriously doubt adding one high quality integrated audio op-amp will affect the sound for the worse, or using an all discrete signal chain in playback would magically enhance any of these recordings.

BTW, just for the record, I personally have no beef with all discrete signal chains

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.