DEQ 2496 and why everyone should play with dynamic EQ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
aside from the joule heating example, there are likely many other inherent current non linearities in circuits and devices that we are not aware of. Manufactures measure output at a fixed level. It would be interesting if anyone could demonstrate a measurement of a dynamic accuracy in an amplifier or cable. Dynamic meaning the relationship between loud and soft simultaneously played sounds.

This brings to light a whole other consideration on reproduction for digital signals with discrete volume levels. Signals are not continous and they have a restructured dynamic relationship to them.

when a recording engineering makes music, he imposes his on compression and expansion by ear and for taste, and that is responsible for a large degree of the character of the recording.

Is it a distortion for me to re interpret his EQ setting? Let go of the ideals and start intelligently customizing things.

You won't be disappointed, or maybe you will be that you were so scared of tampering with things and missed out for so long.

If you don't like it just hit the bypass button :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I believe most of the compression you are hearing has taken place in the mastering process. Some in the mix. If you are listening to broadcast, there will be compression there, too.

Undoing some of that can sound good, but is tricky to get right.

Agreed. But let me also reiterate that vacuum tubes are known to act as compressors. The vander pols equation was modelled after a vacuum tube . It is a differential equation which normalizes inputes and sustains oscillations. It is a type of effect. You can do this with a deq2496 . This is a clear example of the type of effects that's are characteristic of certain components that we are unaware of. We use rediculous synesthesia type inventions of words to try an articulate things that are better described with simple effects like the word compressor.

Hi,

You can twist and shake as much as You like, but
it does make sense, try not to get bogged down from the new idea, with purist ideals.
still doesn´t make any sense.
It´s not a new idea but simply a false one.
You don´t loose current or compress current within a loop.
Instead You get voltage losses due to the inevitable impedances and that´s btw. the reason for lower power losses on highvoltage lines.
If You loose 10V on a 100V line its 10% of power loss, if You loose 10V on a 1kV line its just 1%.
The current value through both lines remains unaffected.
Feed 1A into them and You get exactly 1A out of them ... that´s Kirchhoffs law.
I hope that that´s out of discussion, regardless of which ideals You may follow :rolleyes:
What You´re mixing up with is Ohm´s law, that simply states that if You hold the voltage constant, the current will be the inverse function of the impedance (I=V/Z).
With a loudspeaker the impedance varies wildly over frequency, temperature and power level.
As almost all amplifiers can be regarded as constant voltage sources it indeed may appear on first glance that the current undergoes non-linearities.
But that is not the case.
Its the impedance that defines the behaviour.
If You keep the current constant instead (current drive) the voltage will vary in proportion to the impedance.
A fact that You can also see in the Thiele-Small parameters of a speaker, which are only legitimate at small-signal levels and that vary with the excitation level.

As cbdb pointed out, a precise correction of the speaker´s compressive behaviour required exact knowledge about the temperature time constants and ratios.
Similar to Antiskating for a Tonearm, a simple Compressor/Expander-setting could just be a rough first-degree corrective measurement.
If You like what you hear, its fine, but if You take the text from that website as technical reference or a proove of concept, You err.

jauu
Calvin

Calvin do you have a science degree? I studied engineering physics and acoustics masters at salford.

I really don't want to hear you talk about Kirchhoffs laws and put me down it's killing the energy in the thread. You are being a source of power loss lol.

These are simple examples . You keep throwing back complicated explanations for simple things.

Power loss in wires is due to joule heating. It's a type of internal type of friction from too many electrons flowing in a certain diameter of conductor. High amount of electrons small diameter wire , means friction, heat , power loss. You don't get power loss from too high a voltage in a smaller diameter conductor like with high current.

You just demonstrated higher power loss in a high current low voltage signal .

Power is transmitted at high voltage low current. Look that up before you say any more .

Last edited:
Are you calculating a time constant when you make a crossover? Crossovers don't line up anywhere near proper time alignment . Their just the closest approximation traded off against other criteria. You guys need to actually try this stuff and listen to it while applying your deductive logic and determine for yourself how much is audible and what is practical way of using a concept to improve the sound.

Instead of dropping arguments based on proving yourself . These forums shouldn't be like this.

Argument city! Try some dynamic EQ. That's all I have to say . Audiophiles are like religious groups who have lost objectivity! Justifying paradigms! With their own complex elaborate stories. Debating non issues !

The point is to just try dynamic EQ . That is my gift to you my audio friends .

Joined 2014
Paid Member
My point is you made a very poor analogy whilst throwing up forum defense number 23 " I have a degree therefore you must believe me"

Calvin, for all his slightly abrasive manner makes good points. And if you like your particular distortions more power to you. Just don't tell everyone else they are idiots for not trying it.

I said there's higher power loss in High voltage low current line. You stated an amount of current.

It doesn't change the fact that there's more power loss in current dominant line.

You can use this thread to learn about EQ or you can come in and try to sound great. I'm kind of done here .

Distortion ? Lol every time you put a pair Of speakers in a different room it's a new distortion. So what do you do? How do you deal with that psychologically? Just listen to them outside because you can't accept distortions?

I'm trying to open your minds up to realize that this stuff occurs in audio systems, and it can be categorized and understood in concepts that are variable through digital manipulation.

Try to see the benefit instead of winning.

Compression, occurs tube amps
Phase shifts occur crossovers. -
Resonance modes , reverb , room acoustics

You can get a digital EQ and compensate , it will be a huge improvement. And it's almost free.

Or you can just have a melt down at that idea. And try to argue with everything.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.