depressing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Chris8sirhC said:
I am currently working part time at a major national electronics store, and i am constantly amazed at how easily people will believe anything they hear concerning a speaker. Dont get me wrong, im not the one decieving them. For example, there is this clock radio made by boston accoustics or something like that. Right on top of the display it says something to the effect of "Must be heard to believe" It actually doesnt sound as good as some of the other $5 clock radios, but im constantly getting comments from customers about how amazing it sounds.... "wow! have you heard this clock radio right here, it sounds awesome, like it says here 'must be heard to be believed' ".....someone actually said that.... The first time i had a customer tell me something like that, i thought he was joking, so i said "haha, yeah right" but it turns out he was serious.... Now all i can do is just smile and nod my head in "agreement" .:whazzat:

Just thought I'd get back to the original topic (before I started dumping on Monster Cable) which I'm interpreting as "why do some people not know what sounds bad?". I can appreciate your frustration. Early in my DIY speaker builds I "created" something that was very mediocre and yet when A/B'd with something better one person told me they preferred the mediocre ones. I was shocked. I decided then that there is no getting around personal taste. Those people that are interested in being educated about what good sound reproduction is can be helped. It's been scientifically proven that anyone with undamaged hearing can tell the difference given time to learn. For the rest you just smile and nod because for them ignorance is bliss.

I worked for Best Buy until Wednesday. Yeah.. I quit. 5 years of pushing **** on the masses took its toll. They sell some good stuff, but you have to know what to look for. And as far as the Service Plan, it can be a good investment on some items, and a waste of cash on others. Take it from me ... I spent most of my time there as a tech. I I have seen some of the weird **** people do to there stuff.

uhh...you can't say cr@p here anymore!?

which I'm interpreting as "why do some people not know what sounds bad?".
I guess what i was more getting at was that people will believe anything they read / you tell them about a speaker. Another example is that i had my friend over listening to my computer speakers i made (w3-871s) and i said something like, yeah i designed them as computer speakers, so they are missing alot of the lower frequency stuff. (only goes down to 80-90hz) He agreed, saying "yeah it is missing that bottom octave" The thing is, I have them set up as replacement speakers for a complete logitech system (680's), which has a sub... which was on.... What he was used to was an HK system that has a 6'' subwoofer, so its not like he has a system that has more low end that the logitech z680s.
Ive come across some salesmen taking advantage of this phenominon. I once listened to a pair of electrostats at tweeter and the guy kept on going on and on about how it has the most incredible highs, better than anything else ever made. He even went so far as to say that ribbons are close to ****. I did mention that a plasma tweeter is the best for high frequency reproduction, and he didnt agree. I let him keep spewing bs from his mouth for a while, then i asked him why it had a rear facing tweeter on it. He just sorta sat there for a minute then left the room. From what ive read on this board, electrostats of that thickness cant even really go above 15khz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.