Dell PC audio is mediocre , need a good USB DAC or DAP

Funny - just retried it. Try just googling it. I can easily find it.
Toslink is restricted to 24/96 - but some gear have better optocoplers but you can't count on it unless stated by the product manufactor.
Beside you will then need much better quality toslink cables and not just the cheap plastic ones. Higher speed requires glas based cables.

I have an Allo Revolution DAC which I'm very pleased with - a really good ESS implementation (passive HF filtering done right with skill and care).
No frills design. Solid Thescon (IIRC) USB drivers available for >96 kHz, or Windows class 2 compliant otherwise.
5V DC powered; benefits from LPS.
Let down only by micro USB input, IMHO.
Allo have been a bit quiet of late so check what level of support is available, if you go down this route.

When you try to order any Allo products, this is what I've been seeing for over a week now:

1710464645723.png

Beside you will then need much better quality toslink cables and not just the cheap plastic ones. Higher speed requires glas based cables.
Define high speed - it depends on the speed and length of the fibre, short fibres are less affected by dispersion. If you use a laser emitter rather than LED you will be less affected by dispersion too as the optical bandwidth is much smaller.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey guys ,

I bought a new laptop this year after 16 years with my old one with XP. It is a Dell and like some other computer makers they use the mediocre Realtek chips not just as codec but also as output amp. They are not good. My old Dell computer from 2006 sounds much better. Then there is the problem of Dell's audio "enhancement" with MaxxAudio/waves that really is very bad and an absolute no-no for audiophiles. I have managed to get this off my computer at great cost, but that is another story.
The Realtek chip can't even go higher than 48kHz audio , so all the 96k or 192k files I have are for nothing. A stark warning for Dell buyers !! (Then for the linus folks , it seems linux converts everything to 44k ). Both are so outdated in a 2023 computer.

Obviously I'm thinking about an external DAC. Just straight 2 channel stereo , no enhancements , no 5.1 7.1 stuff. Next month I'll be visiting my home country where I have the DAC's from my SONY MD and DAT players through an Elektor USB to coax or optical circuit, but they only go 48kHz too and those are 1996-7 tech, they can handle 300 ohm HP's though. The MD player is light enough to bring with me but not the big but better DAT player.

I need an compact audioplayer too (DAP), since my low cost/low quality Cowon player died. So I'm thinking of something like a quality player like Astell&Kern SR25 II or 35 , that I can use as DAC too. But they are hard to buy in europe and freaking expensive.
https://www.astellnkern.com/product/product_detail.jsp?productNo=143
When browsing around for just USB DAC's there is a lot of choice , how to choose ? I want something better than the crappy Realtek and just buying blind from the internet might not be better.
Yes I've read the whole thread : https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/what-do-members-of-diyaudio-use-as-music-players.386298/
Didn't really find a good one. This is do-able : https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/hi-fi/dacmagic/dacmagic100
But it is only a DAC , I rather have a DAP with a useable quality DAC .
Did you try any of the audioquest dragonfly?