Dedicated PSU for DEQ/DCX2496

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys. I finally recieved all parts from Stef needed for upgrading my DCX2496:) (PSU, miniclock, miniregs, PSU cable, caps and op-amps)
Thanks man:D
Since there is no detailed info about DCX2496 on his site I have a question for people who already did this upgrade (or to Stef if he knows)...
What oscillator I have to change? This one?
clock.jpg

Also, from where I have to "steal" +5V for miniclock board?
If someone have upgrade progress pictures it will be great to see ;)
I have few more questions, but let say this is enough for start...

Moby said:
What oscillator I have to change? This one?
Also, from where I have to "steal" +5V for miniclock board?

Have a look on this page: http://www.dcx2496.fr/selectro3.php

The cristal to change is Q3 (marked 24576 Mhz). But personnaly, I'll not use the way explained on the dcx2496.fr web page. Use the same way I explained on my web page. Remove the Q3 cristal, remove the two 20pF capacitors, connect the clock ouput to the cristal pcb hole going to pin 1 of IC20, and take 5v on the power pin of IC20 (74HCU04).

Or if you're afraid to unsolder all these stuff, use the dcx2496.fr way.

Stef...

I installed my linear PSU today and everything works great, some sound improvement is noticeable, but I have a problem because unit produces big thump spike at output when powers up or down. With stock PSU there were smal "click" but now I almost burned my speakers :hot: I'm not sure is that normal but if it is it can be a huge problem is unit loose power accidentally. Is that normal behavior with linear PSU?

Moby said:
I installed my linear PSU today and everything works great, some sound improvement is noticeable, but I have a problem because unit produces big thump spike at output when powers up or down. With stock PSU there were smal "click" but now I almost burned my speakers :hot: I'm not sure is that normal but if it is it can be a huge problem is unit loose power accidentally. Is that normal behavior with linear PSU?

I don't have this here with my DEQ. Do you have applied others mods to our unit?

artquake said:
Stef, are your In- and Output boards compatible with the Version 2.2 DEQ PCB's ?

Thanks in advance

artQuake

Don't know but the I/O board is the same in the 2.2 version. Only the DSP board is an updated design.

I've tried the proto live this week-end. Not bad at all. More dynamics at first. Very sensible of op-amp used. Will may be test it inside a v2 next week with others.

I've the proto on my install right now. ;) The input board only. I use XLR to drive the UcD block. I tried the ouput board but as I can't close the box, I removed it. Will may be design another version with both symetric and non symetric outputs. The sound is so clean with this small direct board.

Stef...

- flash - psu kit available at audiophonics - a good guy - end -

Well Stephane i hope it is the same as in Ver. 2. I have to verify this somehow.

I ordered already the psu kit @ audiophonics and btw i am waiting for your reg and clock kit's . Hopefully they'll arrive the day after tomorrow.

I aimed at using only the output boards, as i will use a source to the optical inputs of the DEQ and then send the signal from DEQ DAC-Out to my Tube-Preamp.

Is it really necessary to use a buffer on your output boards ? Isn't it easier to pic up the signal from your output board , respectively the output of the DAC, and wire it like it's shown in the following LINK ?
Or does a usage of this sort of symmetric circuit connection really lower the sonic quality of a signal ?

When will your I/O boards be available ? :D

Thanks for your efforts

Best regards
artQuake

artquake said:
Well Stephane i hope it is the same as in Ver. 2. I have to verify this somehow.

Yes, the signal are there. The minimum to solder is a HE10 type connector. You can use a passive circuit as well but level will be low. It wil depend of your pre-amp to succeed.

I don't really know yet when I will do more PCB. May be, I'll have one proto left when test will be over.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You can use a passive circuit as well but level will be low.

Stef today i finished a passive proto connection ... and the level is about the same as i get it out from the Balanced Outputs (-10dB Switch). I think that the Output-OP's have gain set to 1.

While using Toslink in and my passive analog out, the Sound is great for that short time of listening. Not badder, but also not even audible better. In fact the output stage is now at least reduced for one OP-Amp and a route shorter.

BTW: Got the reg and clock boards today ... thanks

Best regards

artQuake

Guys I think I need some help:confused: Today I finished with replacing all Op-amps and caps and that was the hell of the job...I hate Behringer because they glued the op-amps:mad: Anyway, thing works, no DC at output (just few mV..) But I have a feeling that op-amps are overheating... Also All AKM chips are hot. Unfortunately I don't have a meter to measure temperature but let's say that I can hold my finger for about 5 seconds and then is pretty hot...:hot: I tested the unit for about 2 hours and nothing changes for better or worse. What's the normal working temperature of chips inside DCX2496? I forget to test the temperature before upgrade process but I think that AKM-' were hot after PSU upgrade. Not sure did they were hot before.... Is it possible that I have some oscillation issues? Any suggestion?:xeye:

Moby said:
Guys I think I need some help:confused: Today I finished with replacing all Op-amps and caps and that was the hell of the job...I hate Behringer because they glued the op-amps:mad: Anyway, thing works, no DC at output (just few mV..) But I have a feeling that op-amps are overheating... Also All AKM chips are hot. Unfortunately I don't have a meter to measure temperature but let's say that I can hold my finger for about 5 seconds and then is pretty hot...:hot: I tested the unit for about 2 hours and nothing changes for better or worse. What's the normal working temperature of chips inside DCX2496? I forget to test the temperature before upgrade process but I think that AKM-' were hot after PSU upgrade. Not sure did they were hot before.... Is it possible that I have some oscillation issues? Any suggestion?:xeye:

You need an infrared temp pistol. Fingers are not a good tool to mesure temperatures...

Quiescent current between the AZ4580 and the OPA2134 is close (4/7mA per amplifier).

Stef...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.