decoupling TDA1541A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bernhard said:

No.

Foil caps are mostly long.
And this way the path is prolonged by the lenght of the cap.
Only useful if you want to use very fat 1µ Siemens MKT stacked foil caps.
They are short.

No, there are short caps that will fit (like the one on my drawing)
Wima MKS-2, MKP-2
Siemens MKT

hifi said:
boys... use the bottom side of the board to mount half the caps... :)

/micke

And how will you solder them? I mean, with radial caps.

is this a contest of who makes the finest looking alignment??
Use SMD Part, you can wire it under the socket, you can choose betwen foil or ceramic and inductivity is a very minimum...
Why do you spend so much time on this, no one would use these fat caps that some of you use to decouple the supply pins!
And the 14 decoupling pins aren´t anything other than that!
Correct me if I´m totaly wrong...

Markus

I don´t really understand all of the esoteric caps discussion, its the same like listening to different "resistor sounds". The most difference of sound i experience from different recordings, not from changing caps, resistors or cables. And tuning the value of for example passive I/V resistor of the DAC changes the performance in a measurable way. I doubt there is any difference in sound caused by the brand of the resistors used. I´m sure on this board the brand would be the more important topic of discussion than the value. And the best "performance" of corse would be reached with a part unobtainable not manufactured anymore. The second best and only acceptable would be 20 times more expensive as a standart parts.

50 i need for 2 DACs, balanced. That would be 28 for the decoupling pins and the others for decoupling the different supply pins of all ICs used. I´ll go for 28 * MKS 100nf, and all supply pins also 100nf MKS + standart electrolytic. I don´t want to spend 80€ on fancy caps for this project.

Hi,

Can someone explain why Oscons are used for the MSB caps ?

100-220nF and 1-2.2uF for the MSB seem to be typical values so a good polyprop foil cap would seem a sensible choice. However, I have seen people using 10-15uF Oscons.

I believe that you want a cap with a very low leakage current. What benefit does an Oscon give in this application ???

Jon

Here's one way of doing it. The caps are 220nF PP. The originals were
multilayer cheramics, so changing them seemed sensible.

Attachments

• 955 clock.jpg
    955 clock.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,955
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, it is a rather long path to ground, but only slightly longer than the original pcb-tracks.
It's a quick and easy way of doing it when there's little space underneath the pcb.
A shield between the digital and analog sections is a good thing when using large foil caps.

Together with a standard CDP-clock comletely cast in silicone rubber and better OPs in the output, the result was amazing for a weekends modification-work. So keep on tweaking !

I used to sell 0.47uF NX to my customer for decoupling TDA1541A. They seems to be happy , I don't know about the actual improvement myself in that application. This might be off topic, get double crown version if you can, sounds MUCH better than single crown. Where did you get Blackgate in Melbourne ?? now Jaycar stock them ? ;)

Hartono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.