Decision 2008

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Originally posted by chrisb
(now if you really want to see some fur fly, ask "what's the best coupling cap?")

Ok, What's the best coupling ca...... :D

I'm allured now by the siren song of the tripath for amp projects right now. I figure I'll triode wire the jolida and remove the NFB and that will do for awhile. Maybeeee......

Meanwhile, back on topic, I'm doing a sheet count for the half changs. Using the B20's with that little Dayton tweet that GyChang had luck with. Scott, you stated a 5k x-over. I though most people were using around 9k-12k for their's. Is this room dependant(I guess it's person dependant too)?

Dave, for the B20 you used 3 thinned(50%?) puzzlecoat layers on the main cone and Damar on the whizzer. Is this correct? Then EnAble I guess. After that maybe some phase plugs and then move on to better/other drivers. At least that's the plan now.

gurley123 said:

Ok, What's the best coupling ca...... :D

I'm allured now by the siren song of the tripath for amp projects right now. I figure I'll triode wire the jolida and remove the NFB and that will do for awhile. Maybeeee......

Meanwhile, back on topic, I'm doing a sheet count for the half changs. Using the B20's with that little Dayton tweet that GyChang had luck with. Scott, you stated a 5k x-over. I though most people were using around 9k-12k for their's. Is this room dependant(I guess it's person dependant too)?

Dave, for the B20 you used 3 thinned(50%?) puzzlecoat layers on the main cone and Damar on the whizzer. Is this correct? Then EnAble I guess. After that maybe some phase plugs and then move on to better/other drivers. At least that's the plan now.

Are you planning on building your own t-amp, or shopping for prebuilt? The Kingrex T20U is no joke, and starting at $249 US, quite a bargain to my mind (you could easily spend more than that on boutique/bling audiosnob approved caps for the Jolida)

I am planning to mod this board in this thread. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112395 and then build a case for it. The case is what is getting me psyched. I've done some looking around and I think I've come up with something pretty neat. Plus that board is like $20. I know that t-amp probably won't drive the B20's that well but it's for another desktop system I have plans for.

For years I lusted after the boutique audio gear at unattiable prices. Now I want to see how much I can do with the least amount of money. That's why I've decided on the Pio for a starter. It seems to be the value leader at the moment.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
gurley123 said:
for the B20 you used 3 thinned(50%?) puzzlecoat layers on the main cone and Damar on the whizzer. Is this correct? Then EnAble I guess. After that maybe some phase plugs and then move on to better/other drivers. At least that's the plan now.

2 coats PK -- not quite that thin, you don't want it ti sink all the way thru. I used PK on the whizzer too. Standard pattern, but there needs to be an extra ring just under the edge of the whizzer. The row under the whizzer is a REAL pain to do... it is very hard to light it so you can see what you are doing.

I am working on the logistics of the Dayton on the tip of a phase-plug.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
gurley123 said:
]I am planning to mod this board in this thread. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112395 and then build a case for it. The case is what is getting me psyched. I've done some looking around and I think I've come up with something pretty neat. Plus that board is like $20. I know that t-amp probably won't drive the B20's that well but it's for another desktop system I have plans for.

My buddy Jesse got one of those and rather liked it. He said he was going to send me one to listen too...

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.