Decided first project to be center channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
michael said:
so why not a 2.5way with W-coax-port this way you get more bass, baffle step correction, and still have point source accuracy

1) I'm baffled as to why anyone needs large amount of bass from the CC in an HT system. Does it sound better when the receiver filters it out and sends it to the sub?

2) There's BSC in Tony Gee's crossover.

3) 2 drivers = point source accuracy?

It's not like I'm such a huge proponent of coax CC, I have an MT, plus you should build what strikes your fancy over what I think, but really now...thinking caps on, class!

originally posed by leadbelly
I'm baffled as to why anyone needs large amount of bass from the CC in an HT system.

There are a few actors...James Earl Jones comes to mind, with really, really deep voices. Granted, I doupt even his voice goes much below 80hz. After looking at that Seas driver, I should be easily able to get a F3 or 50hz or so, which is more than adequate.

I do think that michael's suggestion of a 2.5 way is very valid tho. If the woofer was crossed over at say 200hz, with a spacing of 12" or so, I think this would be getting very close to a single point source that I am seeking. My plan is to eventually replace my left and right speakers ( a pair of AR m6's) with some DIY's, and it would be nice to have the same speaker configuration for all 3 channels. Since I rarely use my sub for anything but movies, it would be nive to have the bottom end there.

Zymrgy said:

If the woofer was crossed over at say 200hz, with a spacing of 12" or so, I think this would be getting very close to a single point source that I am seeking.

I would have to disagree too on this one. 200 Hz is localizable, plus the distortion content in the driver radiation sub 200 Hz would make it *very* localizable. I keep my sub crossed at 60 Hz or it would just drive me up the wall.

Another point is that 2.5 ways generally use identical woofers for a reason, and unless you make your own quasi-coax (which isn't a bad idea), you can't do that.

Again, you have to buy it, build it, listen to it, but to me, it sounds like your boat is drawn to separate drivers and you're cranking hard on the rudder to steer it to coax.

I guess I am not following what you are trying to say. After looking at several proven designs, such as the Audax Center Channel I am wondering how much difference there would be from that vs a W-coax-W design? One of the reasons I dont want to go with the WMTW arrangement is I was hoping to keep the box a little more low profile than what is allowed by going that route.

Admittidly I am new to making loudspeakers, but I want good results from my first attempt. I hope I am not offending you by all the questions....

Zymrgy said:
One of the reasons I dont want to go with the WMTW arrangement is I was hoping to keep the box a little more low profile than what is allowed by going that route.

I hope I am not offending you by all the questions....

OK, I can see where keeping it low profile would be another good benefit of coax over MTM or WTMW designs that for some might override what I consider the most important benefit.

Well, if that's what you want, you could try 2 of the coax models from Seas, or maybe what I would try is 1 of the coax's in the middle and 2 of the matching Seas woofers on each side. You might have to search a bit to find the exact ones you want. I think the crossover would be challenging.

Offense? One, you'd have to try hard to slam my ego WRT audio as I don't know much, and two, if you think this back-and-forth is questionable in tone, you should go check some of the stuff in the Tubes forum... :)

5.0 HT NO SUB

I wanted world class stereo and multi-channel audio, so my HT has 4 identical full range speakers, no sub, and a 12" coaxial center channel running down to 40Hz. I have never heard a satelite+sub integrate as well as two full range speakers, and once you make the full range decision to optimize stereo, the center channel needs realistic bass for balance.

I borrowed a MT using ported Seas 10" W26EX magnesium Excel and Seas 27TDFC crossed LR4 at 1,200, and was impressed. I have never found horizontal MTM CC to sound correct due to lobbing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.