Decent Speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I apologize in advance if this as already been asked but I ran a few searches and didnt find what I was looking for, or understand it if i did find it lol.

I realize that this is a very broad question but I have to start somewhere, as I am about as much a newbie as a guy can be in relation to audio equipment. What are some decent floor speakers? Im not talking about 1000 dollar each speakers, something reasonable that has good clear sound that dosent break the bank. Im a full time college student with a full time job so you know how much money I have. (or the lack there of)

Currently I have a set of Cerwin Vega E-712's which sound pretty good but I kow they arent anything special.

So lets hear it... What do ya say... Infinity, paradigm, boston acoustic, klipsch, polk... are any of these worth a damn? Are there better ones that arent as mainstream? Again... Thanks alot from a novice :rolleyes:

I am a big fan of B&W speakers. Very very solid bass and no complaints above.

http://cgi.ebay.com/B-W-CM2-Rosenut...70644688QQcategoryZ116193QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think it would be a really cool project to take those bookshelf speakers and build matching subwoofer/stands for them. The crossover would not be as challenging as the one in the midrange, and it would keep your hands busy and be extremely satisfying. I might use a Dayton rs 10" side mounted on the stands with the whole thing veneered to match and the bookshelf atop on spikes.

Hi trade!

Ill take a look at B&W speakers! The thing with the ones that you posted a link to is that I would have to buy a sub and then as you said build a custom cabinet for them. While building the cabinet isnt an issue buying the extra subs and all the needed supplies to make it all work would get me into more money then I wanted to spend... unless I am missunderstanding what your saying? Never the less the input is still appreciated! I want any and all opinions and ideas on how to put a decent stereo together!

mrbowtie,

If I may kindly remind you of the name of these forums...

Although there are many good commercial products available, it gives you little in the way of satisfaction when the only work you put into them is dragging them in from the car and twisting a few wires.

By coming to a DIY site, I am hoping you have the abilities to build a cabinet. Have you done it or considered it before? The people here can help with the design and hopefully point you in the right direction.

And yes, doing yourself is cheaper, not just more satisfying

Cal Weldon said:
mrbowtie,

If I may kindly remind you of the name of these forums...

Although there are many good commercial products available, it gives you little in the way of satisfaction when the only work you put into them is dragging them in from the car and twisting a few wires.

By coming to a DIY site, I am hoping you have the abilities to build a cabinet. Have you done it or considered it before? The people here can help with the design and hopefully point you in the right direction.

And yes, doing yourself is cheaper, not just more satisfying

I was going to say the same thing - are you just looking for advice on which commercial speakers to buy? Are you interested in doing any DIY at all?

Here is a suggestion - go to some high-end audio retailers and audition several of the the speakers they have there. Also take note of the prices. When you have decided on a favorite speaker, come back to this forum and tell us which one it is, what the retail price is, and that you want to CLONE it. I think then you will find all sorts of responses to your query, rather than what commercial speaker to purchase outright.

You will most likely also find a significant price differential - in your favor - in cloning a commercial model. By the way, what is your budget? What is your listening room like? What are your music preferences? Will the speakers be for both music and home theater? Etc. etc.

Give us more information and we will give you more help! :D

So far I have only built my own systems, but i think cloning could be evn more fun. To point to something and say that is mine, and it is better than what it looks like!
I think I am gonna clone a pair of 901's! : )

Don't be hard on him though, I think he is very wise to ask this question of people who have heard more moving material than I might hope to...

Thank you everyone for the input! As trade said be patient I am VERY new to audio :xeye:

First of all.. Yes I have all the tools and capabilities of building a custom cabinet. I actually have a small wood shop setup in my shop at the moment. I could even build them with dove tail joints at the corners. BUT I would need help with sizing, type of wood, any ports they would need so on and so forth. I didnt realize that building "custom" speakers was really a viable option to get a high end set of speakers.

As for going to a higer end audio shop and testing some speakers... There arent any that carry anything other then the major brands around here that I can find. Ive searched on the internet and still came up empty handed. Thats the reason I listed the brand names I did. They are the only ones I know lol.

The speakers will be for music and home theatre. Id say about an equal amount of each. The room they are going in is just a rectangular shaped room, but they likely wont stay in that room for very much longer. (May be moving) As for music preferances.. I dont have one. I listen to everything but jazz and ragaee lol. Mostly rock, classic rock and the like but Ill through in some country, classical, rap, trance... you name it.

I apologize for dismissing it so quickly, I was unaware! PLEASE teach me!!!!! :worship:

mrbowtie - the fact that you have a wood shop is going to be one of your biggest assets. there are many helpful and knowledgeable people this site to get plans from. Check out the links below for sites with plans and parts listings. its basically all you need to get building right away.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/
http://www.rjbaudio.com/ (check out his links section)
http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=main.html
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com

not to mention the numerous kits available from commercial companies:

http://www.madisound.com
http://www.rawacoustics.com
http://www.diycable.com

There's a lot of info on building your own speakers. The best thing is you don't need to know theory to get started with any of these projects.

Good luck!

mrbowtie said:
I actually have a small wood shop setup in my shop at the moment. I could even build them with dove tail joints at the corners.

Dovetails are seldom used for speaker cabinets. Many of us really like biscuit joints. They are very strong and are quick to setup if you have the right tool.

YMMV.

B00004YKUO.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

mrbowtie said:
I didnt realize that building "custom" speakers was really a viable option to get a high end set of speakers.

Actually, unless you have very deep pockets, DIY custom is THE ONLY WAY to get a high end set of speakers.

Browse Parts Express Showcase, and also look at the links already given. http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/index.html

Figure out what you want your speakers to be able to do best, which is somewhat defined by your favourite music types. (You may find you music tastes expanding once you have a good set of speakers matched to good components)

Figure out your budget, figure out how much 'spouse factor' is required.

Maybe build a small kit or plan speaker first to get a feel of things, (you can use them in the bedroom later or sell them or give as present etc)

By then you should be in a position to look at something really nice !!!

But be warned.. this hobby will catch you big time if you are not careful !! And you will become an audio nerd !!!

Thanks for the great links recca! Ill browse through those and check out what they are doing and what brands their using.

And yes I know how to do biscuit joints :) Ive got one of those as well. Are they a "better" joint for a speaker cabinet then a dovetail or are they just simply easier? Because doing dovetail joint with the right equipment is actaully very easy and you get a very strong joint.

If I am to start a project like this I think Id like to go for a 3 way speaker... What ideas are floating around out there for brands and possibilities?

Once again Thank you all for the top notch input :D

my standard questions..

What equipment do you have? (if you feel you may be embarrassed.. don't worry...everyone starts somewhere, but Please give us an idea of what you have)

What kinda tunes ya like? What are your audio preferences? (Lotsa Bass...soundstaging ..etc, etc, etc...)

What is your budget ?(for speakers, etc...) I can almost always guarantee that if you had a budget (example only) of $1000 , you could put together a complete , musically satisfying system. I've been listening to a system that cost me in the neighbourhood of $250 USD including a cd player, turntable , an old reciever used as a tuner and phono stage, a power amplifier, a turntable/tonearm/cartridge, speakers, AND cabling.

Is my cheap "audio den" system as good as my 50Xs expensive main system? No, but it is enjoyable, and everyone who has heard it can't believe it! It's closer than one might imagine.

There are some really smart, creative people hanging out on this forum (Planet 10 comes to mind, as does Nuuk, Dragonmaster, MarkMcK, Peter Daniel, to name a few--sorry not to include everyone...this forum is packed with great people...)

So please, give us the oportunity to point ya in the right direction. Without trying to be "snotty" or condecending in any way, if DIY isn't of interest, than this really isn't the place to post "what loudspeaker?" questions. There are other forums (Audiokarma, audioasylum, ad nausea) that may be of better service to you.

Hey Nanook...

No, Im not ashamed at lol. I know its a long way from anything spectacular. But its a start.

The receiver is a Onkyo TX-SR701 and heres a link to its specs...
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR701&p=s&class=Receiver

Ive obviously got a cd player, my current speakers are Cerwin Vega E-712's. No amp at the momnet because I dont want to buy an amp and it not be the right size for future speakers.

As for what Im looking for... I was a clean crisp well rounded sound. I dont neccasarily want the bass to blow my windows out or the highs to shatter crystal. Just something that sounds good top to bottom. My budget is somewhat undecided as I dont really know what Im getting into with building custom speakers. Can a decent set of speakers be built for around 400 dollars? Or is that a un-realistic amount?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.