death of zen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Drinking coffee and reading the thread...

I learned lot through Pass Zen series about the value of simplicity and about the value of one electron. I think most of us are staying at this corner to share these things, not to simply hunt the world top amp, or not to simply inform that mine is better or the best. If you really would like to inform place B is better than place A, please go to the place B and say so loudly. Then clever people would find and go to that place. I would like to see them soonest possible...

Regards
jH

Hi,
I have built the JLH 15W as well as the DoZ. Both have similar topologies. The DoZ is nowhere near the JLH. It seemed very lifeless.

I have not heard the Zen. So if you want to build the DoZ, you might as well build the JLH. You can easily adapt the DoZ PCB to model a JLH amp.

Mohan

I have decided to try, once again, the DOZ from Rodd Elliot pages

I found it reasonable... do not think this one sounds better than a good class AB amplifier... i felt it lifeless...... also too much hot to produce only 10 watts (single ended).

Distortion is low...but quality is not something very special.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 931
Well, this morning i have decided to listen something class A

And i did it....but really i felt some other simple amplifier outperforms this one.

Not confortable the temperature...not a very good sound too.

Just good....or sligtly better than reasonable.

I have made it to PNP transistors.. this was the modification done...the rest was to follow the instructions.... the transistors used were TIP42 (not too fast) and output J4215 from Fairchild.

My Dx Amplifier smashes this one... easy... rolling into the floor and laughing.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 693
Here you have a recording uploaded to the Youtube

Music was recorded alive.... band over an enormous truck surrounded by speakers....but showing you some local music.... quality is not so good because the music.

Latter i will produce better recording and will upload to Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNmkulHurt4

Carlos

Attachments

• imagem.jpg
    imagem.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 682
I found out that-

1. The DoZ preamp is a Gem!
2. The DoZ amp is no good!
3. The Zen is way better than DoZ!
4. The MOSFET Follower by PMA is way better than both Zen and DoZ, but by no means the best!

Combine 1 and 4 and see(listen) the difference youself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.