DCX2496 and Panny XR 6-Channel 3- Way Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have hooked up same idea as Newform, 2-Way/3-Way configuration using DCX2496 and 4 channels of Panasonic XR45 receiver, for its amplifiers and common volume control:

Woofers: Surround Left & Right, LP XO 80HZ, Active via DCX
Midrange: Front Left & Right, HP XO 80Hx, Active via DCX
Supertweeter: Passive Cap only, connected to Fronts same as Midrange

The "Midrange" is a Fostex widerange driver and runs from 80Hz to 20 KHz and the supertweeter is only to assist the upper frequences with the 1:st order cap passive XO.

This is a "in wall project" so I have no possibility to toe in speakers. I want to use the DCX also for the Supertweeter (for steeper XO and delay possibilities etc.)

Unfortunately, the DCX2496+XR45 does not allow the possibility to use all 6 channels in this application. I have two remaining channels on the XR45. One is Center Speaker (High level speaker out) and the other is Subwoofer out (low level)

Now, to my experiment:
I want to try use DCX2496 XO for all Speaker elements and still use the XR45 for Volume control for all 6 drivers. I understand I could do as follows?

-1-
First, I will let the DCX make internal sum for the 2 channels and have one Mono signal for the woofers XO aro 80Hz. I hope mono will not degrade imaging too much!

This Mono signal from DCX could then go to Either a)Center, or Subwoofer in at the XR45.

-2-
Remaining free 4 channels, will be free for Midrange and Supertweeter separately.

-3-
The woofers will then need separate amplification, for example subwoofer plate amplifier, Hypex UCD or,..

Now my Questions:

Q1)
In case I use Center High level output on XR45, I need to transform this High level to Low level signal to feed to sub amplifier. Is that recommendable?. Can one use simple adapter/resistor for this?

Q2)
If I use Subwoofer line, probably I can not avoid XR45's internal filter which I understand is 3:rd order low pass with XO 100Hz. In other words, XR45's filter will be added on top of the DCX's filter.
Will that cause problem?

Thanks for reading so far. I am afraid I may lost most guys by now. Anyhow, if someone understand what I am talking about I would be greatful for opinions on Q1 and Q2, and, about my idea in general - any comments are appreciated.

Thanks
LageB

Hello loudandclear,

Oh! - how I wished that it would be possible...I would procure the XR55 immediately.
But, it is not possible. It was discussed at AVS Forum somewhere in the giant XR55-thread.

The point is that my (and Newform) set-up, requires analogue DVD 6-Channel input in to the XR Receivers.
XR45 (& I understand also XR55) indeed has DVD 6channel input - but one of these inputs is for subwoofer and unamplified.

LageB

Getting another XR45?

Hi LageB,

I have an XR-45 and two JVC F-10 digital receivers. I also have a DCX2496, and I use it to biamp my main system, which is driven by one of the JVC receivers.

The issue you are facing is the same one I have. From time to time I want to triamp some of my speaker projects, and the annoying problem is that each of the digital receivers has only 5 useable amp channels.

I have not tried the XR-55 so I don't know whether it provides 6 channels that take external inputs. Nevertheless, if you can find another XR-45, that may be the solution. The two XR-45 receivers together give you 10 channels, and You can control the volume of both receivers together using the remote control. I am going to doing something similar with the two JVC F-10 receivers I have. I plan to set up a home theatre system, and each speaker requires bi-amping. The two JVC receivers will provide the 10 channels I need.

Kurt

As cheap as the Panny receivers are, you could always use two of them. The remote will control the volume of both units. Among other things, this setup would let you use up to three woofer drivers per channel to get enough deep bass.

Edit: ah, I see Kchang said the same thing.

Thanks for the comments
Ok, using two XR receivers would be a solution for me. For those of you doing so with XRs, does the single volume control for two receivers works well? I mean, does it really always control volumes equally on both receivers?

LageB

I run a pair of Pannies for my three way active dipoles and use the spare channels for surrounds, with a pair of DCX2496s as the crossovers.

I don't use the volume on the receivers except to act as a master volume control (due to the way my sub is set up) but I may change this at some stage.

It all works just fine. Of course the ideal would be a DCX with digital outputs and a Panny with digital ins, but that ain't happening for a while.

Cheers

Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.