DC-Protect Circuitry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few seconds.

It can be rebuilt with a triac or a thyristor to keep the protection on until a reset is activated. However I leave this to the individual designer. I'm happy with this circuit. Also, "connect PSU to speaker", this is only for a very very short time until mosfets brakes again. This is not worse than a high power output signal like a square wave signal.

Hi,
This is not worse than a high power output signal like a square wave signal
this could be a lot worse than a square wave signal.
If the reason the DC detect triggered was a shorted output device then re-closing the rail protection devices will apply full rail voltage to the speaker terminal.
Worse, the smoothing caps have had time to recharge during each off cycle.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi 4fun,
It will vary as the value and power level varies. Frequency as well I imagine (thermal time constant, not inductance).

Imagine you have a variable resistance in series with your speakers. It's constantly changing and you have no real control over it.

-Chris

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi anatech!

I think most crowbar output circuits will have a fuse rated much higher than normal output, fuse value just below crowbar capability. In some cases not, I have seen it many times.

I don't disagree, a fuse is not good. But I am interested how bad by measurement.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi 4fun,
I'd rather see the fuses in the supply rails. The crowbar will cause those to blow. There is no reason the voltage amp section couldn't be taken off before this so there is no danger in the output going to the other rail if only one fuse blows (unlikely). Even if it tried, the crowbar short is still applied, so the other fuse blows as well.

Works for me. ;) Mike, you like?

-Chris

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
That short silver wire inside fuse will heat up by current and change resistance. How much, anyone has graphs?

Lets not forget load eg speakers and their voice coils, plenty of wire that's heats up (and down), but that is somewhat inevitable of course. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.