Dayton RS HiFi 12" Sub using Linkwitz Transform EQ--Design Proposal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm really interested in building a setup almost identical to your's, but vented. Could I yield better results as far as frequency response and output with a ported enclosure the same size? The drivers I have in mind are the 10 or 12" ts2+ or the Dayton HiFi's. I've been playing around with bassbox pro and winisd for the past few days now, and I'm still not sure I'm doing everything correctly. It seems that with the tc2+'s I would need a larger enclosure to get the desired results I want.

If you want a vented enclosure, I would recommend that you look closely at the RS High Output drivers. From what I have heard of them, they are designed for vented or small sealed box enclosures, whereas the HF versions are designed for (relatively) larger sealed enclosures.

I have not played around with the HO drivers, but I can say that with the system I described here, I can get down to ~25 Hz with what sounds like a pretty flat response, though I have not measured--only listened to a frequency generator via computer output. To my untrained ear, this sub is not at all boomy, but there is a nasty room mode that creeps in from time to time when all of the doors are shut in my den. :D I can hear down to 22 Hz where the driver is still putting out a pretty good deal of sound, but below that my hearing cuts out (though the driver is still going crazy!) I am not sure how much lower you want to go than this, but even with a tuned port, I am not sure how much lower you could get with this driver.

I am not sure exactly what your goals are, so I cannot tell you whether you will be able to get what you want with the sealed HF's, but if you could better describe what you think my setup will lack that you are interested in (like the power to rattle the nails out of your house's frame :eek: ) then let me know and I may be able to offer some suggestions. Specifically, I am not sure how low you want to go and how much output you want! I am quite pleased with the frequency response of my system, and the output is MORE than enough for the small room I have it in (I have the amp power knob turned to ~the 10 o’clock position and I think I still have it a little high sometimes).

If you really want more output, the HO driver accepts a ton more power (700W I think), but by the time you put money into a larger amp, I would think you could build a pair of moderately powered subs (~300W each) with the same or greater output level that would be more musically accurate than a vented enclosure.

If you are primarily interested in hearing explosions from DVD's this obviously won't make too much of a difference, but if you are going to use the subs as musical sources too, I would go with 2 moderately powered sealed boxes over 1 monster vented enclosure, but that's just me! :)

paulspencer said:
I've tried the room response calculator and when comparing it to actual response of the room, there isn't much similarity! In fact if I had used the simulation in my design in any way, it would have done a lot of damage! Where it predicted a large 50 Hz dip, there is actually a large 35 Hz peak and no dip until 80 Hz.

Good to know for future reference. I guess I am glad I never got it to work and assumed a generic room response instead!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.